Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Bells Palsy

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:25 AM
  • 32 Replies
Has anyone ever had this? How long did it take to regain muscle control in your face?

SO lost muscle control Monday morning and started prednizone yesterday. The papers the doctor gave him said it could take 10 days - 6 months.

I'm just hoping for some encouraging personal experiences. I know he is having a rough time with it already and it keeps getting worse. I'm having a hard time even understanding what he is trying to say with how much he's slurring now. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Yes my Uncle had this.We thought he had a stroke.His lasted about 2 months and it reaccured.I feel for all of you..hugs

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I've heard of it but that's it. I know nothing. I'm so sorry though. Is it just a spontaneous thing that happens or is it a result of an injury? Have him write things down. Not that you won't but make sure you keep us updated.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM

When my son was in high school one of his friends got it. It took about 3 months for her to get better. Her face started to 'unfreeze' after about 3 weeks.

suebee3
by New Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM

My sister had it.  I think it took a few weeks.  SHe is fine now

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Oh man.. 2 months is such a long time!

Quoting johnny4ever:

Yes my Uncle had this.We thought he had a stroke.His lasted about 2 months and it reaccured.I feel for all of you..hugs

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM
He had a swollen gland behind his ear on that side. So we think maybe that affected the nerve?

Quoting goddess99:

I've heard of it but that's it. I know nothing. I'm so sorry though. Is it just a spontaneous thing that happens or is it a result of an injury? Have him write things down. Not that you won't but make sure you keep us updated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Crazy how something so random can last for so long. I had never even heard of it until his mom mentioned that might be it on Monday.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

When my son was in high school one of his friends got it. It took about 3 months for her to get better. Her face started to 'unfreeze' after about 3 weeks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM
That's good! It sounds like its not something that is long term at least. I'm hoping it goes away sooner rather than later. The guys were making fun of him at work last night and he's already really self conscious about it. :(

Quoting suebee3:

My sister had it.  I think it took a few weeks.  SHe is fine now

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

hmm interesting

Quoting splatz: He had a swollen gland behind his ear on that side. So we think maybe that affected the nerve?
Quoting goddess99:

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Yeah, I had never heard of it either until she got it and told us what it was.

Quoting splatz: Crazy how something so random can last for so long. I had never even heard of it until his mom mentioned that might be it on Monday.
Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN