Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Question for all of you! I want lots of answers!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:26 AM
  • 14 Replies
What were your children like when they were young, and are they the same now?
Such as energy levels and intelligence and how they treated people etc..
What age was the hardest?

Thank you! I'd love to hear anything you'd have to share!
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:52 AM

When my dd was little she was extremely hyper now she's 11 and very laid back.

Every year is different so I can't say one was harder than another. I have 1 child so all my energy has always been on her.

MsEmma88
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:58 AM
I dont know because my kiddos are five and two. But with bailey there was a big change in attitude from four to five
nana776
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest has always been high maintenance and still is as an adult. My 16 yo is pretty laid back now, but when he was between 1-3, he used to throw some awful tantrums. My 13 yo is a little high strung, she was pretty mellow as a baby, except for a few tantrums at around 2 years.

Every year and stage has it's challenges and rewards. For me the years between 1-3 were the most challenging just because of the communication issues and them just not understanding most things yet.

squeekers
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:12 AM

When DD was younger than 2 1/5, she signed but didn't speak, so life was a bit difficult whenw e went out & folks stared at her signing and us speaking back at her.

When DD was in Kindergarten, she was GATE tested, and we got a call from the principal saying she was tested, and they ran out of tests at the 6th grade level in english.... She qualified.

When DD was in her K/1 class, she had lots to do, writing paragraphs and keeping her energy up, but when we changed schools and she was placed in a 1st grade, things fell apart. the teacher critiqued her writing folnt as wrong, not different but simply wrong. DD didn't understand and we ended in the pricipals office for expalination. the teacher was told to deal with it, DD's writing skills were fine. Then the teacher began to teacht he entire class the letter c. Nothing about it, just how to write it. Now mind you DD had been writing paragraphs, signing, singing in Ethiopian & Japanese at her other school, andt hey start with C? She bored out quickly, and took to "teaching" her table mate. Which brought us to another principal meeting because DD "isn't the teacher and needs to stop disruptiong the classroom". That went over well. So we went on to help her expand at home and in the class she mostly just read until she heard something she didn't know fort he first month. Teacher didn't believe what she was reading until DD read outloud, to the class, "Johnathon Livingston Seagull".

Life was better and stayed that way until 7th grade algebra began and brain cells stopped. LIfe stumbled mathmatically until 12 grade consumers math. A lot of tutoring to get credits to graduation.

June 17th, our baby walks across to get her diploma. *happy momma*

johnny4ever
Great First Day
Yesterday at 7:56 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:41 AM

My son has always been shy just like I was.I love how his voice changes the older he gets.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Well my oldest is only 7 so I don't have a lot of years of evidence here. But I do have three children.

As far as personality goes, I can say with complete honesty that all three of my kids, as infants, had distinct personalities that have definitely stuck.

The first one was and still is very headstrong, stubborn, emotional, moody.

The second is silly, kind of a quiet background attention nabber (she loves attention but isn't loud about it, very sarcastic sense of humor even at a young age).

My son, so far, seems pretty chill most of the time, but is also proving to be very headstrong and opinionated. I assume he will not be the 3rd child who gets bulldozed by his sisters. But he's also very tender and I think he will always have a soft heart.

As they've gotten older, the main changes my kids have made is in increased self-control and ability to reason. I'm pretty sure this is how it is supposed to be. It has become easier to discipline them with things like with-holding priveleges or adding rewards - as opposed to immediate punishment like spanking or time-out.

But their personalities are set, and are specific. I think my main goal isn't so much to create the kind of kids I want, but rather to teach my children how to use their powers for good and not evil.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM

When my daughter was younger she was very outgoing. She would go to anyone. Now at 16 she is more on the quiet side and needs to warm up to strangers. My daughter was smart then and smart now and she has always treated people with respect. She has not really given me any major problems, she has her teenage attitude moments but nothing to make me say it was a difficult time.

My 14yr old when he was young was quiet and very scared of people, I had a hard time taking him into a store without him going crazy and he is the only one so far when he first started school cried for like a week straight every time I dropped him off. Now you can not shut him up, he makes friends standing in a line at a grocery store and just has a very outgoing funny personality. Funny thing with my son being so quiet the teachers use to think something was wrong with him and wanted him tested. They tested him and the people basically laughed and said there is nothing wrong with him and who ordered these testing. He is a very smart boy and it started showing once he got out of his shell, lol. He also is very respectful but age 14 has been my challenged year with him. I think he fell in with the wrong crowd at school this year and started being disrespectful but now he seems (after many talks) to be back on the right track and I pray we don't have another year like this year with him but other than that he has been good.

I have a 7yr old and he is quiet for the most part but will talk to people. He was a mellow baby and not scary. I am interested to see how he will be as a teenager. My son is the sweetest boy and very respectful, he is having trouble with reading but still loves school. I have not had any problems from him so every age with him has been great.

My 3yr old is very outgoing right now so I will have to wait to see if that will stay the same or change as he     gets older but he defiantly has no fear now. I would say now would be difficult with my 3yr old, he is so wild and all over the place. He is very curious and into everything. We are working on the respect thing with him, sometimes he forgets he can't play with other kids like he does with his older siblings at home, lol.

My 9 month old is very attached to mommy right now. He is too young to do a rundown but he was a preemie and spent two and a half months in the NICU then came home on oxygen and other machines so since birth he has been my most challenging, just looking forward to better and we are getting there.

libsterdoodle
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM

With my oldest daughter is 9 and she was a delightful baby, so easy, but every single year since she turned two has been more difficult than the last.  She is very giving, if she had $1 and another kid didnt' she would spend half of it for them.  She has a quick temper and talks back.  She is SUPER smart academically.  She never has to be taught something more than once before she masters it.  She reads very well and is great at math.  Her one problem is super messy handwriting.  My middle child and only boy is almost 8, he was a very difficult baby, he had sleeping problems and eating problems until he was almost a year old.  Opposite of his sister every year since he was one has been easier.  He is easy going, very accepting, likes to play with others but can also occupy himself for hours playing with a puzzle or his ninja toys.  He has had a hard time in school with sitting still and getting out of his seat.  Being in a classroom setting has been hard for him.  He struggled with his speech and reading and we ended up holding him back to repeat 1st grade.  He is left handed and had a hard time learning how to hold his pencil for writing, he sees a Occupational Therapist at the school that helps him to master this skill as well as proper posture for writing this way.  My baby girl is just turning 7 months.  She is a SUPER easy baby.  She sleeps great, eats great and is totally healthy.  She is always happy!!  I have found in my experience that girls are SO MUCH HARDER than boys in every single possible way!!!

thewaitforfate
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Omg!! Amazing, that's awesome to hear. I think teachers should be more open to the idea of a gifted child simply not being challanged instead of always assuming its a behavior issue. What a shame that your dd got in trouble for simply wanting to do more than sit there and not learn.

Congrats momma you did amazing!

Quoting squeekers:

When DD was younger than 2 1/5, she signed but didn't speak, so life was a bit difficult whenw e went out & folks stared at her signing and us speaking back at her.

When DD was in Kindergarten, she was GATE tested, and we got a call from the principal saying she was tested, and they ran out of tests at the 6th grade level in english.... She qualified.

When DD was in her K/1 class, she had lots to do, writing paragraphs and keeping her energy up, but when we changed schools and she was placed in a 1st grade, things fell apart. the teacher critiqued her writing folnt as wrong, not different but simply wrong. DD didn't understand and we ended in the pricipals office for expalination. the teacher was told to deal with it, DD's writing skills were fine. Then the teacher began to teacht he entire class the letter c. Nothing about it, just how to write it. Now mind you DD had been writing paragraphs, signing, singing in Ethiopian & Japanese at her other school, andt hey start with C? She bored out quickly, and took to "teaching" her table mate. Which brought us to another principal meeting because DD "isn't the teacher and needs to stop disruptiong the classroom". That went over well. So we went on to help her expand at home and in the class she mostly just read until she heard something she didn't know fort he first month. Teacher didn't believe what she was reading until DD read outloud, to the class, "Johnathon Livingston Seagull".

Life was better and stayed that way until 7th grade algebra began and brain cells stopped. LIfe stumbled mathmatically until 12 grade consumers math. A lot of tutoring to get credits to graduation.

June 17th, our baby walks across to get her diploma. *happy momma*

thewaitforfate
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow momma you have a handful! Sounds like you know your babies though and I just love how they are different!

Good luck with the 14 year old as I assume hes the most complicated right now!

Quoting natural_s:

When my daughter was younger she was very outgoing. She would go to anyone. Now at 16 she is more on the quiet side and needs to warm up to strangers. My daughter was smart then and smart now and she has always treated people with respect. She has not really given me any major problems, she has her teenage attitude moments but nothing to make me say it was a difficult time.

My 14yr old when he was young was quiet and very scared of people, I had a hard time taking him into a store without him going crazy and he is the only one so far when he first started school cried for like a week straight every time I dropped him off. Now you can not shut him up, he makes friends standing in a line at a grocery store and just has a very outgoing funny personality. Funny thing with my son being so quiet the teachers use to think something was wrong with him and wanted him tested. They tested him and the people basically laughed and said there is nothing wrong with him and who ordered these testing. He is a very smart boy and it started showing once he got out of his shell, lol. He also is very respectful but age 14 has been my challenged year with him. I think he fell in with the wrong crowd at school this year and started being disrespectful but now he seems (after many talks) to be back on the right track and I pray we don't have another year like this year with him but other than that he has been good.

I have a 7yr old and he is quiet for the most part but will talk to people. He was a mellow baby and not scary. I am interested to see how he will be as a teenager. My son is the sweetest boy and very respectful, he is having trouble with reading but still loves school. I have not had any problems from him so every age with him has been great.

My 3yr old is very outgoing right now so I will have to wait to see if that will stay the same or change as he     gets older but he defiantly has no fear now. I would say now would be difficult with my 3yr old, he is so wild and all over the place. He is very curious and into everything. We are working on the respect thing with him, sometimes he forgets he can't play with other kids like he does with his older siblings at home, lol.

My 9 month old is very attached to mommy right now. He is too young to do a rundown but he was a preemie and spent two and a half months in the NICU then came home on oxygen and other machines so since birth he has been my most challenging, just looking forward to better and we are getting there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)