Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why does age matter?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:37 AM
  • 5 Replies
Hey! So my 3 year old's carseats shoulder straps do not raise any more and he is 40 inches tall. He weighs 32lbs which fits the height and weight criteria of the high back booster I recently bought. It does not have the 5 point harness and the seat belt looks like it should when hes in it and he absolutely loves it. Why do boosters say the child must be 4? I checked with my CPS vehicle restraint and my states dmv law and its legal to put him in it however im still trying to find an explanation for the age as there must be something. My son wears it as he should, and knows that id kick his little butt if he unbuckled while Im driving. If I feel hes mature enough to be in one, should I keep him in it? Im a paranoid mom and keep debating on whether to return it and look for a harness just to shut my worrying up.

What would you guys do?
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nana776
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:05 AM

My kids are older so it's been a while. It has to do with where the shoulder strap fits on the child and the devolopment of the child, an improper car seat can cause internal decapitation. Yeah, it's as bad as it sounds.

CandyMoon
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not so sure myself why age matters. You would think a child's height & weight would be more important in determining if their ready for a booster seat. But I think it probably does have to do with the maturity thing, since most three year olds would probably try to climb out of a booster seat. If you don't feel that he's safe enough, I would just keep him in a regular car seat a little longer until you feel comfortable that he's ready for the booster. Just my opinion.
goldilocksbecky
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Things like muscle tone, neck strength and othe physical development also improves with age.  

I know a big factor with going to a booster is whether they have the behavioral development and self control to "stay in position" as they are riding.  The seatbelt is really only effective if the child is in the proper position.  And younger kids have a tendency to deviate from that position.  The move all around, curl up, slouch over, doze off, etc.  so then their bodies aren't in the correct position for the seat belt to be effective.  Then the belt itself can actually do more harm than good (causing serious, sometimes fatal injuries to the head, neck and abdomen).

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Even if your 3 year old is "mature enough" to sit in a high back booster. He is probably not mature enough to sit correctly for longer periods of time. Like PP posted, muscle tone, neck strength etc, also get better as he gets older. 

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally keep mine in a 5 point harness as long as physically possible, which for us, meant even longer than most of their peers. I figure it really is the safest thing in the car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)