Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you have any kids in Kindergarten?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM
  • 14 Replies

Today is...

The very first kindergarten was started in Germany, in 1837 by Friedrich Froebel.  National Kindergarten Day annually celebrates and honors Froebel on April 21,  the date of his birth.

Friedrich Wilhelm August Frobel (April 21, 1782  - June 21, 1852), a German teacher and a student of Pestalozzi, laid the foundation for modern education based on the recognition that children have unique needs and capabilities.  He created the concept of the “kindergarten” and also coined the word “kindergarten”  now used in German and English.  He also developed the educational toys known as Froebel Gifts which included geometric building blocks and pattern activity blocks.

Friedrich Frobel created a play and activity institute as a social experience for children for their transition from home to school.

”His goal was that children should be taken care of and
nourished in “children’s gardens” like plants in a garden.”

Frobel’s thought was to recognize the importance of the activities of the child in learning.  He introduced the concept of “free work” into his methods and established the “game” as the typical form that life took in childhood and also the game’s educational worth.  In his first kindergarten, the activities consisted of singing, dancing, gardening and self-directed play with the Froebel Gifts.

•  Watertown, Wisconsin had the first United States kindergarten in 1856 – Opened by a student of Frobel’s, it was conducted in German.
  • Boston, Massachusetts held the first English-language kindergarten in 1860. Poppenhusen Institute is still in existence today.
  • College Point, NY was home to the first free kindergarten in 1870.
  • St. Louis, Missouri is where the first publicly financed kindergarten in the United States was established in 1873.

Today, most states in the United States offer free kindergarten to children ages five and six however do not make it mandatory  while other state require all five-year old’s to enroll.   The states vary within their school districts on providing half day or full day kindergarten options.   Kindergarten is a fun and memorable time in the “social experience of the transition from home to school”.

Did they or you cry on first day of school? Now that school is almost out for the summer, how have they done thru out the year? Does your school do a graduation for them?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

awww...last year...I wish I knew this for last year....
I was about to cry but my little one was fine for the first day.  They will have a 1st. grade program for this year.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

How sweet.I just came from work and I had the K-1 Classes.

TurboMom81
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM
My youngest is in Kindergarden. They do not have a graduation for them. Allora loves it! Her teacher says she is doing very well.
mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:12 PM
My youngest is in Kindergarten. No tears from either of us. Her graduation is May 15. She is doing very well.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Unique Yanique on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM
My youngest son starts kindergarten in September. I'm hoping it won't be anything like his first day of daycare, or like his older brother's first day of kindergarten was. Too many tears from me & the boys.
Night_Roane
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM
DD is in Kinder. She didn't cry. I was nervous about her taking the bus, but luckily she recognized where we live and got off on the correct stop. I wouldn't really call it a "transitional" time. It's all-day school, and without pre-k or homeschooling she wouldn't have known what she needed to know.
In one year, she's memorized dozens of sight words, learned to read fairly smoothly, and recognizes 2D and 3D shapes and does adding, subtracting, and basic pre-alg using blocks (5-?=3). It's really amazed me how much the school has asked her to learn, and it amazes me that she's up for it.
ambergem
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Our first of four, DS, will start this fall.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Yes I have a kindergartner!! Mallory is 5 and will be graduationg May 19th! She did great the first day. They have a tradition where they read a story and bake gingerbread men and they get lost and they kids have to go all over the school looking for them and they end up being in the princepals office. We did this too back in 1989. The principal now was my 2nd grade reading teacher :)

sparky1006
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM

no little one"s

jesusrocks2013
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Mine is in vpk . She is only three years old.flowers

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN