Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dreading summer vacation

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM
  • 19 Replies

Does anyone else have split custody of their kiddo(s) over the summer?

School ends May 30th and it is just coming up too quickly. :( I hate him being gone two weeks at a time. It's even worse because his dad works overnight so our son stays with his family/friends. I never know where he is going to be or have a way to contact him. I am usually lucky to get to talk to him twice in the 2 week periods he is gone. I'm thinking this summer I may just get him a prepaid cell phone. He's 8 but has always been really mature for his age. I normally wouldn't consider getting him a phone. But do you ladies think it is a good idea in this situation?

ETA: My original post didn't make sense when I went back & read it lol. We do two weeks on two weeks off for the entire summer. So I have him 2 weeks then his dad has him two weeks. It usually works out that he has him for two 2 week periods and then a 1 week period before school starts back. Or 3 two week periods depending on how the summer works out. 

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I think this situation will be ideal.We have a Tracphone we use for certain circumstances.Plus you wont have to worry so much!

jujubear1
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:46 PM
My 9 year old and most of her friends have phones. I'd get him one if I were you.
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I don't have split custody, however, this year, for the first time, my ex has asked to have DD 2 non-consecutive weeks this summer.  My first thought is, maybe I'd take this opportunity to go away with DH but I'm not convinced that it'll work out and DD won't want to come home early.  I would hate your situation and I have a feeling DD will be sent to my XILs for one of the 2 weeks ....  I will make sure DD learns my office's number and my cell phone number by heart before she leaves just in case.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM

He gets temporary custody of him for 2 weeks at a time during the summer. (Per my request as far as the custody just in case something were to happen & he needed to take him to the hospital.) When we were divorcing I agreed to it because I thought it would be good for our son to have time with both of us during the summer. But.. he just gets bounced around the whole time and his dad hardly sees him. I wish he would just drop him back off at home before leaving for work. But, he won't. Apparently he rather our son hang out with his ex-girlfriend for days at a time. :/ 

Quoting Jinxed8:

I don't have split custody, however, this year, for the first time, my ex has asked to have DD 2 non-consecutive weeks this summer.  My first thought is, maybe I'd take this opportunity to go away with DH but I'm not convinced that it'll work out and DD won't want to come home early.  I would hate your situation and I have a feeling DD will be sent to my XILs for one of the 2 weeks ....  I will make sure DD learns my office's number and my cell phone number by heart before she leaves just in case.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I am considering pageplus. They have some good prices for prepaid or they have a $12/ month option with 250 minutes and 250 texts. 

Quoting johnny4ever:

I think this situation will be ideal.We have a Tracphone we use for certain circumstances.Plus you wont have to worry so much!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I would hate that and yes I would get my kid a phone

Quoting splatz:

He gets temporary custody of him for 2 weeks at a time during the summer. (Per my request as far as the custody just in case something were to happen & he needed to take him to the hospital.) When we were divorcing I agreed to it because I thought it would be good for our son to have time with both of us during the summer. But.. he just gets bounced around the whole time and his dad hardly sees him. I wish he would just drop him back off at home before leaving for work. But, he won't. Apparently he rather our son hang out with his ex-girlfriend for days at a time. :/ 

Quoting Jinxed8:

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I think it's a good idea, better safe than sorry.

libsterdoodle
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Is your ex not necessarily a trustworthy person or are you just worried about not being able to talk to him?  I feel for you.  Last summer while I was super pregnant my MIL took my kids for a whole week.  She lives in Ohio and we live in New Jersey, my sister was here for a visit and they rode back to Ohio with her and stayed there for a whole week.  The idea was to give me a little bit of a break over the summer, and the break was nice, not to mention that they got to see her, but I missed them SO TERRIBLY!!!!!  I had a hard time with them being so far away for that long, it was the first time!!  Now she wants to do it again every summer so that she can see them for a longer period of time than a typical visit.  It is hard to have them go! They both have an iPad mini, so I can FaceTime them nightly and text them whenever I want to, or whenever they want me.  If that were not an option, they would have had a cellphone.  I do think that is too young, but the fear I have of being disconnected to them outweighs the fact that I think it is too young!!!  Good luck!!!!

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Not split custody but I ship DS off for 2 weeks with his family. But he's a teen so it is easier (dont it since he was 7 though) 

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I just don't like that I don't get to see/talk to him for half the summer. If it was only 2 weeks it wouldn't be so bad. But we do 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off for the whole summer. My son told me last summer that he asked to call me & wasn't able to. So hopefully this way he can call me if he wants to and I can contact him too. It wouldn't even be so bad if I actually knew half of the people he was staying with while he was gone. His dad is not allowed to have a cell phone at work. If these people don't know how to contact me either, what would happen in an emergency? 

Quoting libsterdoodle:

Is your ex not necessarily a trustworthy person or are you just worried about not being able to talk to him?  I feel for you.  Last summer while I was super pregnant my MIL took my kids for a whole week.  She lives in Ohio and we live in New Jersey, my sister was here for a visit and they rode back to Ohio with her and stayed there for a whole week.  The idea was to give me a little bit of a break over the summer, and the break was nice, not to mention that they got to see her, but I missed them SO TERRIBLY!!!!!  I had a hard time with them being so far away for that long, it was the first time!!  Now she wants to do it again every summer so that she can see them for a longer period of time than a typical visit.  It is hard to have them go! They both have an iPad mini, so I can FaceTime them nightly and text them whenever I want to, or whenever they want me.  If that were not an option, they would have had a cellphone.  I do think that is too young, but the fear I have of being disconnected to them outweighs the fact that I think it is too young!!!  Good luck!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN