Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You See a Male or Female OB/GYN?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM
  • 62 Replies

Male OB/GYN Charged With Snapping Nude Pics Triggers Our Worst Fears

by Jenny Erikson

OBGYNI know many, many women who choose to see female gynecologists exclusively. Heck, I used to be one! Until just a few months ago, I never thought I'd voluntarily see a man doctor for my girly bits, but then one came highly recommended, and I gotta say -- it wasn't really any more unpleasant than the female docs I'd previously been to. His bedside manner was great, and I think I'll keep him as my regular.

I may have made a different decision if I'd heard about this story before I booked my appointment. A gynecologist in Arkansas is being charged with video voyeurism for "allegedly [using] his cell phone to take nude photos of patients during office exams."

Aghhh! Is that every woman's worst nightmare at the gyno's or what?

The investigation started last month, after a woman complained that Dr. Paul Becton Jr. "produced his cellular telephone and took photographs of her pubic region and buttocks" while she was on the table.

After obtaining a search warrant for the 68-year-old, whose website touts over 30 years of medical practice, police found "numerous images of nude females that appear to have been taken in a medical office during medical examinations." They were found as deleted images on the hard drive of his cellphone.

The woman who made the complaint identified five of the nude photos as ones "that were taken without her knowledge or consent." Becton has been charged with five felony voyeurism counts.

More from The Stir: Would You Feel Comfortable With a Male Gynecologist?

Talk about an extreme violation! It's already unnerving enough to let someone, even a trained professional someone, all up in our business like that. But we're supposed to have faith that they do this all the time and take no particular special interest in our own special flowers.

This is especially creepy because he's a man! Now, I'm an equal opportunist, and know that there are questionable women out there too. But I've heard many people reason that they only want to see female OB-GYNs because they don't understand why a man would want to go into the field in the first place.

I always believed it was an appreciation for our gender as a whole, and a desire to keep us as healthy as possible. Besides, what greater job could there be than one where you get to help bring new life into the world on a regular basis?

But if this guy is taking pictures? Why?? Is the fetish a recent development, or has he always been looking at his patients a little funny? Is this why he got into the field in the first place? Sick, sick, sick!

I still believe the vast majority (like, hopefully, all the rest) of male gynecologists don't get their jollies by staring at lady parts all day. But stories like this are bound to give us a girls a pause when we decide whether or not we want our special places tended to by a man or a woman.

Do you see a male or female OB/GYN?

Does this story change your opinion on seeing a male gynecologist?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I only go to women doctors.

L202M
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM
4 moms liked this

"The woman who made the complaint identified five of the nude photos as ones "that were taken without her knowledge or consent." 

How did she know they were of herself? I know  I wouldn't be able to pick myself out of a lineup. (lol)

Mommy2Boys0900
by Unique Yanique on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Both of my ob/gyn doctors were men. For some odd reason, I always preferred men doctors.
CMay2CK
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM
IBoth of my past OBs have been men. Never had a problem. With my new insurance, we had to change centers. My GP (female) does my annual exam, so I doubt I will seean OB again.
johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Today at 8:35 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Male.No I have known mine for over 15 years.He delivered my son.I have the option of having a nurse or student along with him at every visit.

clairewait
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy2Boys0900: Both of my ob/gyn doctors were men. For some odd reason, I always preferred men doctors.

I've seen men and women and I also tend to prefer men. I dont' know why. My current OB is a man, and the best doctor I've ever had in my life, hands down.

I had originally planned to switch to a non OB after having all my kids (so I could go somewhere and not have to worry about pregnant women taking precedence over me at appointments and stuff like that) but I'll be going to him as long as he isn't retired, that's how awesome he is.

He delievered my 3rd baby and will deliver my 4th.

waytomanykids10
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Female.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Me too

Quoting goddess99:

I only go to women doctors.

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I only see male Drs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Male

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)