Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Ever Think About Going On Strike?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM
  • 14 Replies
I am currently a SAHM due to health issues. DD is 11 and hubby sole supporter. I respect him working and see to it that he gets his rest.

We are hopefully moving into a house soon. House is a disaster and all I ask of them are some simple chores. Hubby laundry cause I can't carry it up and down the steps. He doesn't even have to fold it or put it away. A little dusting and just helping keep things straight.

DD help with dishes. Just drying and putting away. No washing or having to keep it straightened.

All I get are excuses. Can't cause I am too tired and he naps until it's time to get ready for work. Goes with friends rather than help with dishes. But they can let the dirty ones please up in the sink until I get around to doing them. Some days with my arthritis it's tough for me to stand very long until my back and joints ache like crazy, but they don't seem to get that. I get it done. Pain,aches and all.

I adore my family, I do. They do take care of me when I need it, but when it comes to the little things, like simple little chores they can't be found.

Anyone else have this to deal with? Ever feel like going on strike as a mom or is it just me?
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Yep, during chore time I'm by myself alot too but my family will help if I really need it. Never thought about going on strike though.

chaotic.mind
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM
I've given up asking for help. However, you have health issues and need their help. I'd tell them they need to do what you ask because if you could do it yourself, you would.
adove01
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM
In my house it seems it is 5 against 1. I work full time in a pretty stressful job. I feel like quitting my house often.
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I've gone on "strike" a few times in my day but guess what? I am the only one it bothered and I was the only one paying for it. Trust me it doesn't pay. LOL

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I went on strike a few years ago, it didn't take long to get the point across because my husband hates a messy house. They started helping out more. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Oh yeah ... I actually have gone on strike this weekend.  DD left to go to her dad's this weekend and left her room like a total digusting disaster.  Usually on Saturdays, all the bedding gets washed, this weekend it didn't.  I mean I would've had to clear her bed of the 23 teddy bears, clothes an trinkets in her bed, avoid stepping on the toys and books she left all over the floor, I even found corn flakes on her floor Oh hell to the no on that ... No way.  So I left her room as is.   She can deal with this mess when she gets home after school today.  Or she keeps her dirty sheets for the week and no friends or outtings until her room is nothing less than spic and span.

I get real fed up of doing all the cooking and dishes around here, I  cook my butt off everyday, try to make, good food, big variety, fancy recipes and then eveything is eaten in 10 minutes, I'm told it's "alright" and plates are left in the  kitchen sink - So This weekend I also didn't cook -   we ate out on Friday night, saturday when it got late enough that DH was starving I threw a frozen pizza in the oven, at night we ordered chinese.  Ok fine I made french toast Sunday morning, but DH cooked dinner on the grill last night.  You know it gets tiring after a while being the do-it-all

Noelle40
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Good for you! I give you two thumbs up for doing it. DH did help me with the dishes today to which I appreciate,but I am just like you. I get fed up with it after so long.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Oh yeah ... I actually have gone on strike this weekend.  DD left to go to her dad's this weekend and left her room like a total digusting disaster.  Usually on Saturdays, all the bedding gets washed, this weekend it didn't.  I mean I would've had to clear her bed of the 23 teddy bears, clothes an trinkets in her bed, avoid stepping on the toys and books she left all over the floor, I even found corn flakes on her floor Oh hell to the no on that ... No way.  So I left her room as is.   She can deal with this mess when she gets home after school today.  Or she keeps her dirty sheets for the week and no friends or outtings until her room is nothing less than spic and span.

I get real fed up of doing all the cooking and dishes around here, I  cook my butt off everyday, try to make, good food, big variety, fancy recipes and then eveything is eaten in 10 minutes, I'm told it's "alright" and plates are left in the  kitchen sink - So This weekend I also didn't cook -   we ate out on Friday night, saturday when it got late enough that DH was starving I threw a frozen pizza in the oven, at night we ordered chinese.  Ok fine I made french toast Sunday morning, but DH cooked dinner on the grill last night.  You know it gets tiring after a while being the do-it-all

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I'd like to add that Saturday I didn't even get dressed bwahahaha I spend ALL day in my nighty ... didn't put make up on, brushed my teeth and hair and called it good enough. 

Quoting Noelle40: Good for you! I give you two thumbs up for doing it. DH did help me with the dishes today to which I appreciate,but I am just like you. I get fed up with it after so long.
Quoting Jinxed8:

mkjmommy
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I went on strike once. After a few days everyonegot the picture and started helping more. I also have chore charts and reward system now. I have no issues cleaning the house and cooking BUT I have issues with everyone trashing my house and treating me like a maid. I won't put up with it. I believe I got everyone in line now :)
lizzig
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM

oh i've gone on strike before.  doesn't make much of a difference though.  i mean things do change for a bit but slowly hubby & the kids fall back to their old ways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)