Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How Do You Feel About the Death Penalty?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

Death Row Inmate Dies of Heart Attack After Botched Execution in Oklahoma

by Jenny Erikson

Death PenaltyThe United States is not into cruel and unusual punishment, so death sentences these days are carried out by lethal injection. Whenever someone has been found guilty of a crime so heinous that they're subjected to the death penalty, the goal is to take them out as swiftly and painlessly as possible, which is why a sedative is added as part of the deadly cocktail.

Unfortunately, a new formula was used in Oklahoma Tuesday night, and the execution of Clayton Lockett was botched and halted after the drugs failed to work. He died almost an hour after the first injection of an apparent heart attack. A second scheduled execution of another convicted murderer was postponed.

Corrections Director Robert Patton made the call to halt the execution when it became clear that Lockett wasn't reacting to the drugs as expected. It is supposed to take 6 to 12 minutes from injection to death, but after 20 minutes, it was clear something was wrong. He believes that a vein rupture caused the chemicals to escape his veins.

In a news conference after the incident, Patton said, "There was some concern at that time that the drugs were not having that [desired] effect, and the doctor observed the line at that time and determined the line had blown."

Lockett's attorney said, "It was extremely difficult to watch." No kidding. According to reports, the inmate was convulsing on the table and, at one point, even sat up and said something.

Governor Mary Fallin has issued a 14-day stay of execution for the second inmate who was scheduled for his death two hours after Lockett on the same gurney. It was to be the state's first double execution in almost 100 years.

Lockett was convicted of killing a 19-year-old girl in 1999. He shot Stephanie Neiman when she entered a home he was robbing and then watched as two accomplices buried her alive. 

One witness described the gory scene:

Lockett grimaced and tensed his body several times over a three-minute period before the execution was shielded from the press. After being declared unconscious ten minutes into the process, Lockett spoke at three separate moments. The first two were inaudible, however the third time he spoke, Lockett said the word 'man.'

Lockett declined a "last meal" after his original surf and turf request was denied for exceeding the $15 limit. Prison officials say he declined the warden's offer for a dinner from Western Sizzlin.

What a gruesome scene and sure to raise lots of strong opinions on both sides of the capital punishment debate.

How do you feel about the death penalty?

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I'm all for it.

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM
3 moms liked this
What she said and I also think people should go through whatever they were found guilty of. Example if they tortured someone, they should be tortured the same way. But that will never happen.. lol

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I'm all for it.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel the same way. They should get tortured the same way.

Quoting Spoiled_Blonde: What she said and I also think people should go through whatever they were found guilty of. Example if they tortured someone, they should be tortured the same way. But that will never happen.. lol
Quoting MistressMinerva:

I'm all for it.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I read about this today....wow...

adove01
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM
I'm for it. What ticks me off is the fact we treat these convicted killers better than they ever treated their victims.
johnny4ever
Hiking!
Yesterday at 10:55 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am all for the Death Penalty.....sorry to say but for some cases I say bring back the electric chair.

CandyMoon
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM
I think they should suffer the same way their victims suffered. They make me sick.
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Don't believe in it.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I'm for it but not 100% 

TurboMom81
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 3:02 AM

I'm not for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)