Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Applying for jobs again :-(

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

So I've been a SAHM for the last few years now.... Basically I had my first daughter in 2005 went back to work after her for a while but then in 2007 I left work to have my 2nd daughter and move from my homestate  of VA to Texas ( my hubs had a job there after getting out of the army)  In the five years that I lived there I worked off and on (nothing you put on a resume though) to help out with money when needed.  Well this past July we moved from Texas to Hawaii where we live now.  The plan was for me just to keep watching the kids but now it has come time to try to find a job (to help out with money).  Only issue now is I haven't really had a Job since 2007 and that looks so bad on a resume.  Not to metion the fact that I don't even have a resume and I'm trying to make one and I can't remember that far back to even put in the information from the jobs I did have back then on it....

Ugh I feel like such a failure.....  When I was younger (15) I had my first job and I had worked for every penny I made ever since then (even worked while going to school) up till when I had my first daughter.  I even went back to work after her like I said above.  But I've never had a real career I've only had jobs and that seems so bad for a 31 year old

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!!

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck!!!

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck
MSJAP2010
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck momma. I just went back to work after being a SAHM since 2007
splatz
by Sarah on May. 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Its so hard to get a job after being out of the job market for so long! I would just be honest when you get called for an interview & let them know you took the time off to enjoy your children. Now that they are older & you are able to focus on a career that is what you want to do. Or something to that effect lol.. 

ambergem
by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I worked from 15 1/2 and worked through college and supported myself before I married DH.  I don't think you should worry about the not having a job since 2007 because you have good reasoning.  The not having a job thing is to see if you can account for why.  You definately can. Put that on your resume as your most recent job experience.  Sounds funny, but it explains the "job" that you've been choosing to do.  Search online for a sample resume.  Write out a list of jobs you had in order since you were young, just the name of the organization and then fill in the blanks later.  I was a SAHM for two years and had no issues with getting a job again in regard to the lapse in working.  Not even mentioned.  They actually offered me a higher position than I initially applied for.  I'm now a SAHM again after working for that hospital for over 3 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)