Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Roaches. What really works?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM
  • 16 Replies
We have roaches and all the things we have tried to do to get rid of them doesn't work. We've tried Raid spray, the gel bait that comes in a tube, roach houses, those plug in things that are supposed to emit some ultrasonic noise, etc.

Besides blowing up our entire place, what else REALLY works?!
by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Call a professional. I've never dealt with them so I'm not sure but if you've tried everything then you may need to call in the pros.
Also, is this an apartment or split home? If other people connected to your house have them and don't treat them, they'll come back.
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Have you tried those bombs in the cans? They worked for my mom and dads rent house back in the day.

Junebaby18
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Quoting withsecond: Call a professional. I've never dealt with them so I'm not sure but if you've tried everything then you may need to call in the pros.
Also, is this an apartment or split home? If other people connected to your house have them and don't treat them, they'll come back.

We've had professionals come out before too, and it helped some but for some reason it didn't kill them all. We have 1 apt that's connected to us, but nobody has lived there for the whole time we've lived here (a year).
SendMeBabyDust
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:45 AM
BORIC ACID EVERYWHERE.

ACTUALLY ...

how old are your children ????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:46 AM
Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Have you tried those bombs in the cans? They worked for my mom and dads rent house back in the day.

I think that's about the only thing we haven't tried yet. My dh wants to do them, but we have to be out of the house when it's done and I've been out of the house a couple times recently, but no extra money to buy the bombs with!
Junebaby18
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Quoting SendMeBabyDust: BORIC ACID EVERYWHERE.

ACTUALLY ...

Almost 3 years and 6 weeks. We have a dog too so I don't think that would be safe for him.
SendMeBabyDust
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:52 AM
put it EVERYWHERE that they cannot reach . under the drawers, under the fridge under the stove . In cabinets they cannot reach . It works wonders . I saw a few bugs when I fist moved in put it EVERYWHERE and I haven't seen any since .

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting SendMeBabyDust: BORIC ACID EVERYWHERE.

ACTUALLY ...

Almost 3 years and 6 weeks. We have a dog too so I don't think that would be safe for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:08 AM
My mom made boric acid balls when I was little.. I think she used powdered boric acid, milk and powdered sugar.. They would eat it, carry it home and kill their family.. She said she made it into one inch balls and put it in drawers, cabinets, behind fridge and microwave, under stove.. They love heat so definitely anywhere warm! I remember turning the microwave on when I was little and the babies would run everywhere because it scared them.. But I also remember cleaning up roach carcasses everywhere..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
withsecond
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Then the landlord needs to treat that apartment too. They're more than likely running over there when you bomb your side and then coming back.

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting withsecond: Call a professional. I've never dealt with them so I'm not sure but if you've tried everything then you may need to call in the pros.

We've had professionals come out before too, and it helped some but for some reason it didn't kill them all. We have 1 apt that's connected to us, but nobody has lived there for the whole time we've lived here (a year).
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

a professional exterminator would be my choice in that situation.  Never dealt with roaches only ants

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN