Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should He Get Prison Time for This Accident?

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

11-Year-Old Killed by Uncle Showing Off Gun's Laser Sight

by Ericka Sóuter

boy shot by uncleNeed more proof that guns are nothing to toy with? This horror story will most certainly provide that. In Pike County, Pennsylvania, a man was reportedly showing his 11-year-old nephew how the laser sight function works on a gun and accidentally shot the child in the head. It's just heartbreaking.

Hunter Pederson had been visiting his grandfather when his uncle Chad Olm brought out the Glock 27 .40-caliber handgun to show the child and a friend how it worked. While many may bristle at this move, it seems Olm was just trying to impress his nephew and show him something he believed to be cool. He reportedly even let the kids hold three of his other pistols during the visit.

While he was handling the Glock, he pointed it at his nephew's head and allegedly said, "Look, you have a red dot on your forehead." That is when his finger mistakenly pulled the trigger and the bullet hit the fifth grader right above his eye, killing him.

Olm has since been arrested on criminal homicide, recklessly endangering another person, and endangering the welfare of children. Those are understandable charges given the horrid outcome of his actions. He said he didn't know the gun was loaded. There are so many things he could have and should have done to avoid this. However, I can imagine no punishment is greater than living with the fact that you accidentally killed someone you love and cherish. The entire family is devastated by this loss -- which is now twofold. A child is dead and a loving relative may go to prison for it. It just goes to show how important gun safety is.

Do you think the uncle should get prison time for this accident?

by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ladybugchick317
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Yes he should. I have a gun but it is hid in my room that the kids are never allowed in and they don't even know it is in the house or that I have one.

mjmorrison
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Yes, as a gun owner and concealed carry permit holder you have to be responsible. All guns should always be treated as if they are loaded and never pointed at anything you don't plan to shoot. This is not an accident it is the result negligence.

Gardeningmom4
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Hell yes.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM

how stupid was it to show a kid a loaded gun ?   It was so idiotic and unsafe.  Negligence at it's finest and now resulted in a dead kid.  So sad - it could have been avoided.

I was raised around guns.  My dad is a hunter, he also often went to shoot skeet in a club and brought us with him.  But we were also taught how to act around guns and gun safety, we also NEVER handled them.  When we were older and my dad showed us how to skeet shoot, we were scolded about never pointing a gun at a person, not even an unloaded weapon. 

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Yes he should.  It was his gun and he should have known whether it was loaded or not and he should never have pointed the gun at the child's head.  That is just gun safety 101.  A criminal record should prevent him from ever owning a gun again.....hopefully.  I'm all for guns and I love them and want to teach my DD all about them too but there has to be common sense involved and this guy obviously didn't have it.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM

same here, mine has a trigger lock on it, in a pad locked case, which is hidden and out of reach, DD doesn't even know I own one.  End of story.

Quoting ladybugchick317:

Yes he should. I have a gun but it is hid in my room that the kids are never allowed in and they don't even know it is in the house or that I have one.

crochetmom07
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Yes. First rule in gun safety is to always treat a gun like it is loaded even if you know it's not because you unloaded it. Second, why the hell was his finger inside the trigger guard? You never put your finger inside the trigger guard unless you are actually shooting the weapon.
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Yes he should.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Yes, he should!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN