Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does anyone else think this is pathetic? Mothers Day related. UPDATE

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM
  • 41 Replies
2 moms liked this

UPDATE: I took my DS to the dollar store.  I gave him some money and asked him to pick out a nice gift for Mothers Day.  At first, he asked if he could pick something out for "boys day".  After explaining him to him that every day is "boys day" he started looking around the store.  First he picked out a topsy turvy tomato planter, but put it back when he saw some owl garden ornaments.  So he picked out two of those and then a ladybug windchime.  Grand total $7.  He was so proud and has since asked me if I can help him wrap them for me. I can't wait to see his face when I open them on Sunday. LOL

Oh, and he asked me if I would help him bake a Mothers Day cake too.

Thanks for all of the replies.  I guess I was just feeling a little insecure after my sister made the comment that the idea was pathetic.

Whenever a special day is approaching (like fathers' day, valentines, birthdays, etc) I take my 4 year old DS to the dollar store, give him a couple of bucks and tell him to pick something out for whomever (dad, gramma, little sister).  He always puts a lot of thought into what he picks, and even though its just a little dollar store item, he is always so proud.

Well, as you all know, Mothers Day is just around the corner.  Now, DH is away working and won't make it home.  While my family does this type of thing with their children too, they aren't close enough to be able to do this with my son.

So anyhow, I am thinking about taking him myself, giving him a few bucks and telling him he should pick something out for me for Mothers' Day.  

This isn't really about me (although I would really love get a gift from him).  It's more about teaching him the importance of giving and of celebrating and thanking the people in his life.  He loves special days and loves to give presents, and I want to encourage that.

What say you?  My sister thinks it is pathetic, maybe so?

by on May. 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natural_s
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know why would your sister care, it's not her money, lol. Plus I don't think it's pathetic, it's no difference then giving kids money to do that little shopping that they do at school around Christmas. Plus I think there are lessons that kids can learn when giving them the opportunity to buy gifts.

I say it's your child, your money, really who cares what anyone else thinks and plus your husband is away so spend your day the way you see fit.

Labs1129
by on May. 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Go for it.

LDavis33
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

You're probably right about it really being none of her business.  I guess she just figures that this kind of thing should be up to my DH and it's a little strange to ask my son to pick out a present for me.

Quoting natural_s:

I don't know why would your sister care, it's not her money, lol. Plus I don't think it's pathetic, it's no difference then giving kids money to do that little shopping that they do at school around Christmas. Plus I think there are lessons that kids can learn when giving them the opportunity to buy gifts.

I say it's your child, your money, really who cares what anyone else thinks and plus your husband is away so spend your day the way you see fit.

Gardeningmom4
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this

No I think it's nice that you are teaching him about giving.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Grant it may be strange but I just think people have way to much negative opinions about what other people do within their own families, unless you asked her for her opinion then I guess she gave you her honest opinion but if you were just sharing your plans for mothers day she should of just bit her tongue in my opinion.

Quoting LDavis33:

You're probably right about it really being none of her business.  I guess she just figures that this kind of thing should be up to my DH and it's a little strange to ask my son to pick out a present for me.

Quoting natural_s:

sissy852
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

its nice. it makes him happy to give something to someone. it also teaches him that it isnt always about give me give me it is about giving as well. its sweet, and not pathetic

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on May. 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Not pathetic at all.

Steph84FL
by New Member on May. 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Is not pathetic. You know good and well he'll enjoy picking out your gift.

Quoting LDavis33:

Whenever a special day is approaching (like fathers' day, valentines, birthdays, etc) I take my 4 year old DS to the dollar store, give him a couple of bucks and tell him to pick something out for whomever (dad, gramma, little sister).  He always puts a lot of thought into what he picks, and even though its just a little dollar store item, he is always so proud.

Well, as you all know, Mothers Day is just around the corner.  Now, DH is away working and won't make it home.  While my family does this type of thing with their children too, they aren't close enough to be able to do this with my son.

So anyhow, I am thinking about taking him myself, giving him a few bucks and telling him he should pick something out for me for Mothers' Day.  

This isn't really about me (although I would really love get a gift from him).  It's more about teaching him the importance of giving and of celebrating and thanking the people in his life.  He loves special days and loves to give presents, and I want to encourage that.

What say you?  My sister thinks it is pathetic, maybe so?

nana776
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I did it with my kids all the time. They seemed to be a little upset the time I didn't do it (I thought they were getting too old). They are 16 and 13 and will still do chores or something to earn money for a present. 

Bonnie_
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's sweet.  It  also   will make  him  happy to be able to  give you  something..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)