Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

expensive better than cheap??

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM
  • 11 Replies

So I am wondering if it is better to buy the more expensive cleaning products (i.e. shower/tile cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, etc) rather than the cheaper ones?? What is the difference really? Do the expensive ones really do a better job?? And what about the 'green' products----are those way better no matter what they cost??  

by on May. 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I feel like some of the cheap kinds clean just as well. However you can go even cheaper & use vinegar and baking soda for a ton of things. They work amazing! 

amybrg86
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

mix the vinegar and baking soda together? I could clean pretty much anything with that? ...countertops? flooring? shower tile? 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Meh ... it depends what.  Some cleaners are cut with a lot of water.  What I essentially  look for is the instructions in the back - if you actually read the back of the label of a Mr Clean bottle, you'll see you actually need very little in a mop bucket and use pure in a spray bottle to disinfect.  If the product says use 1 cup per bucket you know you'll use a lot more than if you buy a brand name.

Some products I find don't work really well even brand names.  I usually buy what's on sale.  Baking soda and vinegar works great on tough messes but it stinks + if you don't wipe it to a perfection it leaves white residue especially in porous surface like grout.

amybrg86
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

so basically, the less water the better?  won't have to use as much of a product that's not dilluted with water which in turn means it will (or should) last longer.  thank you!!

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:28 AM

It really depends. If it is the store brand and it says to compare to Head and Shoulders.....then it is worth it buying the store brand because they are the exact same thing. If it doesnt and it is a cheap brand other than the store brand than i don't buy it. Some just seem watered down and not effective. I am always trying new things. I can use vineger and water to clean my counters if they arent stained then i use chlorox cleanup spray the walmart brand. Vineger does not get the grease off my stove top. 409 does. It will not clean my tub and shower. Oxy bathroom cleaner does.  I made my own laundry detergent  for several months with Borax, washing soda and Felths Naptha.Then I started noticing that it wasnt getting my clothes clean. They just were not getting clean. I was using Extra, Sun, and store brand detergents that were affordable. They were cleaning my clothes well either. So i went back to Gain and Tide. I now use Gain. Clothes are amazing!! It just depends. You just gotta try things. Everything works differently for everyone.

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by Mrs. Depp on May. 8, 2014 at 6:06 AM

I find what I like and stick with it.

amybrg86
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 6:46 AM

thanks ladies!  yeah let's see..we use extra for laundry detergent (because it's cheap) but I would much rather prefer gain or tide!! I suppose maybe with those more expensive ones you can use less detergent though?? yeah my clothes aren't that amazing with extra, lol. and i just bought tilex last night to clean our shower, but i'm so not pleased with the results!! smelled like bleach in there for awhile and then it didn't even remove the grime from the shower tile/grout!! super disapointed. maybe i'll try that oxy bathroom like you said mrs.bolin...  

fudgybuddymom
by Linda on May. 8, 2014 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

When it comes to cleaning products I usually buy the cheapest,most of them like the Ajax sort of products & glass cleaners all work the same to me. But I do like to use the brand of laundry detergents by Arm & Hammer to get my clothes clean. Having said that I wish I could afford Tide because even tho it's expensive it truly does wash clothes cleaner in cold water. I also buy Brillo or SOS when I need to scrub the sinks from hair color stains(I color my hair red & I am somewhat messy when I do it)& the no-name brands don't cut it.

jessi2girls
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are going to go green, make your own, rather than buying products that mostly are nothing but fakes anyways.. or jacked up priced apple cider vinegar!!!

As for as expensive products vs. cheaper ones.. it all depends.. sometimes the cheaper ones suck, sometimes the cheaper ones work as well or better.. it's really trial and error there.. I personally think awesome works better than a lot of all purpose cleaners.. and it's cheaper.. 

but cheap windex brands suck. 

sdavis519
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 3:36 AM
I like using Lysol wipes. you can use them for all hard surfaces minus glass. lol but they r quick and easy if you have a little one running around but they may be a little more expensive. I just try to get them when I have coupons which most papers have at least one coupon for them 95% of the time oh and I don't know where you live but if you have a dollar tree or I think even stores that sell things cheaper like family dollar or dollar general started caring it it's called awesome! And it really is! and it's only a dollar at the dollar tree at least. But I'm not sure what's all in it so if you are looking for something safe you may want to see what's in it first lol. Otherwise I agree with the baking soda and vinegar! It doesn't have to be expensive to be effective!! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)