Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

First time mom needing help with a toddler. . open for any and all advice.

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 11 Replies
First of all, i need some advice on how to get my daughter to stop using a bottle at night she is 18 months old ive tried everything...

Second ho do you know when its time to potty train?

Third how do i get my daughter to sleep in her crib at night? Should i change her crib to a bed would that help with her sleeping alone?

Please help..
by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stpreggers
by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Take away the bottle. Yes it'll be hard for a couple days.
We started taking ds to the bathroom with us all time and when we change him he told him what peepee was and poopoo . Always offer the potty .Now he just tells us when he as to go.
It's time for a toddler bed try one that has a tent and nightlight it's more fun and interesting she'll want to be in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Also maybe stuffed animals the cody bear is neat you can program it to say her name and sing songs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

1-replace milk with water.. they will gradually wean from there..

2-knowing the signs that your baby has bladder control is key and something a lot of parents forget.. which doesn't typically happen until around 2-3 years old..

(signs include waking up dry from naps or through the night, etc).. Also knowing when they can comprehend those signs.. it's fine to introduce HOW to use the potty early on, but don't expect results until they really do have control over their bladder.

3-18 months is typically when most move to a toddlers bed, because it reduces the risks of them falling out of it at night... however having her sleep alone in her bed is acompletely  seperate issue.. Trying making sure she has her bath, then a book and cuddle time with mom.. for the first week you may have to wait until she is asleep before sneaking out... but you will have her in her own bed falling asleep on her own soon enough after that. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

All the above (except the potty training thing) is all bad habits your daughter has picked up.  Stick to your guns, enforce the rules.  Yes the first night will suck, she'll probably cry like crazy, drive you nuts and tug at your heart strings but let it go, don't react.  She'll get over it quicker than you think.

Potty training, it all depends how you want to go about it.  Some people will claim their baby was potty trained at 9 months.  Truth is, the sphincter & blatter devellop to it's fullest between age 2 and 3.  And so that's how kids come to feel the need to go.  Overall it's a lot of repeating and showing.  If your DD sees you use the toilet she'll eventually want to do the same.  In my case, she saw other kids at daycare and one day told me she wanted to pee in the toilet and that was that.  She was 2 1/2 - and "poof" just like that, we were done with diapers.

athorne
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM
I had a hard time with my daughter as well. Once she turned 1, I just took it away and she eventually got the hint. As for potty training (she's 2 now) I have been placing her on her potty when it seems that she has to go. She always has to pee right after she eats lunch o I take her to the potty right after. I do have her in pull ups because she can't tell me when she has to go. Once she can tell me I will slowly take her off the pull up and into panties( she will have accidents for a while). Just give it time and she will come around to it.
JTE11
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I think that with the bottle you can go two ways, one is cold turkey, throw them all away and don't even have them in the house and only offer a sippy cup of milk, or you can keep the bottles a little while longer and only put water in them. If she wants milk at night she has to drink from a cup. When you do that some kids will just switch to the cup, some will stick with the bottle even if it means no milk, so sometimes that doesn't work as well. It will be difficult and you will have some very rough nights (probably) for a while until she adjusts but she will adjust.

For potty training, she seems a bit young to be starting but you can find readiness checklists online that you can take that will ask you a series of questions to see if your child may be getting ready. It's not unheard of at her age to start potty training, but the bulk of kids don't do so until they are older, 2, 3, even 4 years old. It doesn't hurt at all to get a potty chair and have it sitting there in th ebathroom, and every time you change a diaper or just before bath (the running water sound can make them have to pee) just sit sit her on the potty. You don't need to force it or make a huge deal out of it, if she doesn't want to sit there don't make her, but if she gets used to seeing the potty chair it will be one less thing later.

I don't have good advice about the crib, my DD didn't sleep in the crib until she was 14 months old, and when we made the transition I nursed her to sleep then put her in the crib. She would wake up after a couple of hours, fuss around a bit, and then I'd check on her (reassure her) every five minutes or so until she figured out how to put herself back to sleep. I don't think a child as young as yours needs a toddler bed, but other people's opinions will vary. My DD is three and is still in her crib, she's never tried to climb out, we even talked about getting a big bed and she isn't ready. So she will stay in the crib until she is, I'm OK with that, it won't hurt anything for her to sleep in there as long as she likes. I found it helped to put a toy in her bed so that when she woke up at night ( she does that a lot) she could entertain herself for a while until she went back t sleep. I got her this:

to put in her crib and it lived in there for almost two years. Now she has a small flashlight (a child safe one) and two books in there so if she wakes at night she can it and read a bit. I wish you good luck with everything. :)

Snowbuny
by on May. 14, 2014 at 2:53 PM

1. Get rid of the bottle. Cold Turkey. It's a habit. Try replacing with something else that is comforting. You may need to teach something else for comfort. Such as a specific song or music box, blanket, toy. Something that is always there with her. She is associating the bottle with her bedtime routine, and children love routines. The sooner you break it, the better. We broke our 9month old of a bottle at night by letting him cry. Every 15 minutes we would reassure him, and turn on his ocean cribside music box. Now when he gets up, he turns it on himself and goes back to sleep. We also do not give him a drink before bed anymore. We give him his bottle about 2 hours before bed, and then before bed he gets solid foods. This helps with wet diapers at night, which tend to wake him up.

2. Every kid is different. My oldest had signs of being ready for potty training. He started out okay for a few days, and then decidely NO. The most important thing to remember is not to push the issue. It can make things worse. If your child can go 2-3 hours without a wet diaper, then thats usually an initial sign they are physically able to start. Emotionally and psychologically is a different story. My oldest actually waited until preschool where he saw other kids using the potty and decided he wanted to as well.

3. It is unclear what the underlying issue is here, or what exactly is going on from your comment. However, my son hated his crib for awhile. Then one day I was doing laundry and his sheet wasn't dry yet, so I put him down for his nap without the sheet. He loved it. He sweats a lot when he sleeps, but I found he sweats less with the plastic (waterproof) mattress. The crib sheets make him sweat and he wakes up all wet. He sleeps much better since I got rid of the crib sheets.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I'm definitely a cold-turkey kind of mom.

Take away the bottle. She'll give up the fight before you do.

Sleeping in the crib is similar but you'll have to create a habit of it, and for us, it starts with healthy sleeping at naptimes (only in the crib).

White noise machine and black out shades are great helps.

A bedtime routine (that never changes) is also a must around here.

And I put mine to bed (when they are that little) before they are tired. Over-tiredness is my #1 sleep problem. If mine are fussy, I've missed the window.

m.garcia21
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Just dont give her a bottle. And put her in her crib even if she cries, which she will. But she will eventually sooner than later get used to it .
iamcafemom83
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM
This is what we did:)

1. We started giving a really good last meal ay dinner. If they woke bc they wanted a bottle, I just rubbed backs til they went to sleep again.
Alternatively, you could give her a sippy with water in it.
2. For me, thr perfect potty training age is between 2 and 2 and a half. By this time, my kids could: talk/communicate about the toilet, pull their pants up and down & had clear times of day when they would poop. That last one sounds a little crazy but helped when it came time to potty train. We night and day trained in about 2 months time.

3. If she has never slept in her crib, at this point, I recommend just turning it into a toddler bed. It is likely in the next few months you will be potty training and will need to convert to a toddler bed anyways in case she needs to potty at night.
If she gets up, keep tucking her in. If you wake up and she is in your bed, walk her back and tuck her back in.

I know this is a lot of back and forth, but once you get over a few crappy days, waking at night, it gets better and she will stay put!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN