Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Advice please, my baby wont stop.

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

Kennedy is so attached to me, I mean BAD!

Ok so please tell me im not the only one that deals with a clingy baby! Every single day from the time I wake up until the time we go to bed Kennedy HAS to be with ME. now I do enjoy it because I love that she loves me so much BUT it gets in the way. During dinner time she has to sit by me, if my fiance takes her so I can eat she screams for me. The only way it works is i have to hide from her and not talk. If she hears me or sees me she screams. This also happens with showers. I try to go take one and she screams without me even in her dads arms. When i cook dinner sammmeee thing. when im cleaning the house same thing...am I making my point. She screams bloody murder the entire time even when shes with her dad even with toys or her swing, it doesnt matter. The second i touch her arms to pick her up/ get her from dad she does the deep breaths like oh mom saved me and shes over crying all at once.

Help? advice?

by on May. 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

How old is she?

KristinKeys
by on May. 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Shes 6 months today, but shes been doing this for almost 2 months already

Quoting splatz:

How old is she?

CarleyS3
by on May. 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Start organizing play dates. She needs some interaction that distracts her from her mommy fixation. Use this as a way to see what she likes doing when she's not looking for you...then begin introducing those activities/toys/options while you put her down. It's not a bad thing that she loves you, but it doesn't get better with age when it's that bad. Imagine having her peeking under the bathroom door on you  at 2 because she needs assurance you're where you're supposed to be!!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM

start socializing her and leaving her with sitters NOW - I had a very clingy baby too and to this day she's still very attached to me and she's 10 years old.  But she did awesome in daycare, school, loves being babysat.  Sadly you will have to detach yourself from her a little.  Don't make a big thing when you come home.  Or when you see her after a certain lapse of time .  "Don't feed the monster" if you see what I mean

KristinKeys
by on May. 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM

She already has 2 playdates a week at the baby gym, shes with other kids playing and with instructors. I noticed she likeds toy time so i copied them and spread all her toys out at home infront of her and she can play if im in the room (so I can do laundry finally) but heaven forbid me leave the room becuase she cries. And apparently i was that 2 year old kid to cry at the bathroom door while my mom tried to use the restroom so I hope we can break this behavior. Oh and Kennedy has daycare monday thru friday from 7 am to 4 pm

Quoting CarleyS3:

Start organizing play dates. She needs some interaction that distracts her from her mommy fixation. Use this as a way to see what she likes doing when she's not looking for you...then begin introducing those activities/toys/options while you put her down. It's not a bad thing that she loves you, but it doesn't get better with age when it's that bad. Imagine having her peeking under the bathroom door on you  at 2 because she needs assurance you're where you're supposed to be!!

KristinKeys
by on May. 8, 2014 at 10:19 AM

She already has daycare monday thru friday 7am to 4pm and 2 playdates a week where shes away from me for the most part of the playdate. I mean what more can i do? Leave her with a family member? I only really spend a few hours at night with her and weekends, i dont have much time with her but all that time she is clinging to me. Maybe she misses me so much so she acts out to keep me right there with her idk?

Quoting Jinxed8:

start socializing her and leaving her with sitters NOW - I had a very clingy baby too and to this day she's still very attached to me and she's 10 years old.  But she did awesome in daycare, school, loves being babysat.  Sadly you will have to detach yourself from her a little.  Don't make a big thing when you come home.  Or when you see her after a certain lapse of time .  "Don't feed the monster" if you see what I mean

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Some kids are like that.  Like I said, my daughter was like that too.  My Ex-husband says the ombelical cord was never really cut.  Even today, she doesn't like being away from me for more than a couple days.  When she goes to her dad's for the weekend I make sure not to make a "big thing" when she comes home because it just feeds the monster.  It'll get better with age.

Quoting KristinKeys:

She already has daycare monday thru friday 7am to 4pm and 2 playdates a week where shes away from me for the most part of the playdate. I mean what more can i do? Leave her with a family member? I only really spend a few hours at night with her and weekends, i dont have much time with her but all that time she is clinging to me. Maybe she misses me so much so she acts out to keep me right there with her idk?

Quoting Jinxed8:

KristinKeys
by on May. 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it, and I understand what you mean by feeding the monster which I now notice I do that since you have pointed out what not to do. I hate to use it as an example but it only makes sense that when you see a dog and you get hyper they get hyper also, but in dog training they say dont do that becuase the dog will not act up and will learn that the hyper behavior is not welcomed.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Some kids are like that.  Like I said, my daughter was like that too.  My Ex-husband says the ombelical cord was never really cut.  Even today, she doesn't like being away from me for more than a couple days.  When she goes to her dad's for the weekend I make sure not to make a "big thing" when she comes home because it just feeds the monster.  It'll get better with age.

Quoting KristinKeys:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Exactly !  You nailed it.  As stupid as the comparison is, it is the truth.  When I come home if I acknowledge my german shepherd she goes nuts, she runs everywhere and whines and jumps and gets so excited.  But if I just walk in, no touch, no talk, all is fine.  

So when DD comes back home from a weekend at ther dad's I come home from work and often I just go about doing my thing (which is usually start prepping dinner) I let her come downstairs we hug and say hi and I ask her if she had a good weekend, but I'm not like "HIIIIIiiiiii Sweetheart, Ooohh I missed you so MUCH, I'm so happy you're home"  because it just amplifies the situation.  Because usually she holds on to me like a baby koala and tells me she missed me so much ... so I pat her back and tell her she's home now, all is good.  But if I ran to her bedroom and made a whole thing out of her coming home and told her "I know I missed you too, it felt like you were gone SO LONG" it would create a scene you know ?

Quoting KristinKeys:

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it, and I understand what you mean by feeding the monster which I now notice I do that since you have pointed out what not to do. I hate to use it as an example but it only makes sense that when you see a dog and you get hyper they get hyper also, but in dog training they say dont do that becuase the dog will not act up and will learn that the hyper behavior is not welcomed.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting KristinKeys:

Quoting Jinxed8:

KristinKeys
by on May. 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I see exactly what you mean, Im a FTM and shes only 6 months so its hard to not cling to her but I need to set an example that she can follow that allows her to grow up more independent. I will TRY this out and I hope all goes well.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Exactly !  You nailed it.  As stupid as the comparison is, it is the truth.  When I come home if I acknowledge my german shepherd she goes nuts, she runs everywhere and whines and jumps and gets so excited.  But if I just walk in, no touch, no talk, all is fine.  

So when DD comes back home from a weekend at ther dad's I come home from work and often I just go about doing my thing (which is usually start prepping dinner) I let her come downstairs we hug and say hi and I ask her if she had a good weekend, but I'm not like "HIIIIIiiiiii Sweetheart, Ooohh I missed you so MUCH, I'm so happy you're home"  because it just amplifies the situation.  Because usually she holds on to me like a baby koala and tells me she missed me so much ... so I pat her back and tell her she's home now, all is good.  But if I ran to her bedroom and made a whole thing out of her coming home and told her "I know I missed you too, it felt like you were gone SO LONG" it would create a scene you know ?

Quoting KristinKeys:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting KristinKeys:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)