Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Bottle weaning

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM
  • 20 Replies
My daughter is 18 months, and I have been trying to get off the bottle since she was about 8 months old. I thought things would be easy like they were with her brother, who stopped with a bottle at 8 months, he was on a sippy cup in one day, and we never looked back. All my tries have been fruitless. She knows how to drink out of a sippy, straw and a regular cup. At bedtime though, she becomes insane if she doesnt have her bottle. She bit me today O.o when I tried to lay her back down, cover her back up and give her her sippy cup. She violently shakes her bed, jumps up and down. She has been screaming for 2 hours straight. I go in there every 15ish mins, calm her down try to explain to her she needs a sippy cup because they are for big girls. She calmly says "No, bottle." SHe has ripped the fitted she off her bed she is so angry, and is banging her cup against the wall. Every time I lay her down, she starts thrashing around, and kicks her covers off of her body. I dont know what to do anymore, she is way too old for a bottle.
by on May. 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Squared
by on May. 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Just don't give it to her. It's not good for her teeth at this age! Put it in a sippy cup and throw the bottles away. Eventually, she'll learn it's the sippy cup or nothing. My oldest son was hooked on the bottle and at 11 months we just refused to give it to him. It worked for us.
want10more
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:05 AM

hey my son is even older than your daughter... he's TWO! and just now we're taking him offa the bottle. (we had to keep him on longer, dr's advice, since he's so underweight) NOW? all the good stuff, milk, chocolate milk, strawberry milk, even soda sometimes? comes in a cup. just water comes in a bottle. i fix the bottle, fill the cup, let him choose. bottles now, are not so great. he's very happy to get a drink of milk, then brush his teeth, then go to bed. i am still giving him a bottle of water at night when he has a fit. that won't last long i think, as i keep telling him, oh but you're a BIG boy now, time to give the bottles to the babies!

momof4kids257
by on May. 9, 2014 at 4:08 AM

hide the bottles in a cupboard out of range and tell her they were lost and show her where you used to keep them. can't find 'em can't use 'em ...sorry

shalynoel
by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM

With my oldest, I never gave him juice in a bottle. When I introduced that, it went straight to the sippy cup. When I switched from formula to cow's milk, it never went in a bottle as well. He learned to associate the sippy cup with the transitional drinks. When formula left, so did the bottle.

I know you're past tha point now so maybe start slowly by choosing a meal time that you only do cups this week, and then add one and so on. So this week, at lunch, we're only doing big girl cups and next week, for dinner and so on. Or, you can just make them disappear. If she's thirsty, she'll drink eventually.

amybrg86
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM

in regards to your son being off the bottle at 8 months old----so were you still feeding him formula/breastmilk then?? were you just feeding him that out of a sippy cup or something (he just sits up somewhere and drinks the formula/breastmilk by himself???) My son is 7 months old... so now i'm wondering......when are you supposed to ween your baby off the bottle?   Sorry, that just really caught my attention when i read your post!!  But in regards to your daughter I say good luck to you!!! I hope she calms down and gets off the bottle soon!  :) 

kadensmomma0708
by New Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Quoting Mom2Squared: Just don't give it to her. It's not good for her teeth at this age! Put it in a sippy cup and throw the bottles away. Eventually, she'll learn it's the sippy cup or nothing. My oldest son was hooked on the bottle and at 11 months we just refused to give it to him. It worked for us.

I know it is bad for her teeth, which is why I started trying around 8 months.  At one point, she refused luquids for 2 days, because it wasnt in a bottle, that was before she could drink out of regular cups or a sippy.  Now she hasnt slept since the night before last, because she hasnt had a bottle, and not sleeping doesnt seem to phase her. Sigh.  is it too late to drop her off at the fire station ;)

kadensmomma0708
by New Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Quoting shalynoel:

With my oldest, I never gave him juice in a bottle. When I introduced that, it went straight to the sippy cup. When I switched from formula to cow's milk, it never went in a bottle as well. He learned to associate the sippy cup with the transitional drinks. When formula left, so did the bottle.

I know you're past tha point now so maybe start slowly by choosing a meal time that you only do cups this week, and then add one and so on. So this week, at lunch, we're only doing big girl cups and next week, for dinner and so on. Or, you can just make them disappear. If she's thirsty, she'll drink eventually.

That would work in theory, if she didnt already drink out of cups during the day.  At night time is my issues when she goes to sleep, which because last night and at nap time she had a cup, she hasnt slept in over 24 hours and shes running around like it hasnt phased her, even though usually she is laying on the floor right now ready for a nap.  We even tried forgoing a bottle at bed all together, and she was even angrier than she was when she saw her cup.  When we frist tried to not give her a bottle but a cup, she refused to drink anything for two days striaght.  I thought shed drink eventually too, but she didnt.

kadensmomma0708
by New Member on May. 13, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Quoting amybrg86:

in regards to your son being off the bottle at 8 months old----so were you still feeding him formula/breastmilk then?? were you just feeding him that out of a sippy cup or something (he just sits up somewhere and drinks the formula/breastmilk by himself???) My son is 7 months old... so now i'm wondering......when are you supposed to ween your baby off the bottle?   Sorry, that just really caught my attention when i read your post!!  But in regards to your daughter I say good luck to you!!! I hope she calms down and gets off the bottle soon!  :) 

I fed him from the breast, but also pumped. So I would put it in his sippy or a regular cup w.o a lid.  I had to get him off my breast because he liked to bite me until I bled and not let go.  And I, would like to keep my nipples, so we stopped feeding from the breast :)

splatz
by Sarah on May. 13, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Oh man... I don't know other than just toughing it out. Wish I had some advice for you. 

Good luck! 

mylilprincesses
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Dealing with the same thing! My daughter just turned 18 months Sunday. She is stubborn and refuses to drink out of anything else. She has shown interest in cups though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN