Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
My daughter is 18 months, and I have been trying to get off the bottle since she was about 8 months old. I thought things would be easy like they were with her brother, who stopped with a bottle at 8 months, he was on a sippy cup in one day, and we never looked back. All my tries have been fruitless. She knows how to drink out of a sippy, straw and a regular cup. At bedtime though, she becomes insane if she doesnt have her bottle. She bit me today O.o when I tried to lay her back down, cover her back up and give her her sippy cup. She violently shakes her bed, jumps up and down. She has been screaming for 2 hours straight. I go in there every 15ish mins, calm her down try to explain to her she needs a sippy cup because they are for big girls. She calmly says "No, bottle." SHe has ripped the fitted she off her bed she is so angry, and is banging her cup against the wall. Every time I lay her down, she starts thrashing around, and kicks her covers off of her body. I dont know what to do anymore, she is way too old for a bottle.
by on May. 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
mylilprincesses
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Its not any different than a pacifier unless you are referring to bottle rott with is totally different thing.

Quoting Mom2Squared: Just don't give it to her. It's not good for her teeth at this age! Put it in a sippy cup and throw the bottles away. Eventually, she'll learn it's the sippy cup or nothing. My oldest son was hooked on the bottle and at 11 months we just refused to give it to him. It worked for us.
Mom2Squared
by New Member on May. 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually it is because of the milk/juice in the bottle. A pacifier isn't good at that age either though, both can cause a shift of the teeth causing major dental problems.

Quoting mylilprincesses: Its not any different than a pacifier unless you are referring to bottle rott with is totally different thing.

Quoting Mom2Squared: Just don't give it to her. It's not good for her teeth at this age! Put it in a sippy cup and throw the bottles away. Eventually, she'll learn it's the sippy cup or nothing. My oldest son was hooked on the bottle and at 11 months we just refused to give it to him. It worked for us.
mylilprincesses
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM
The APA recommends to wean pacifier at the age of two. Yes again your referring to bottle rott which is what happens when they fall asleep with sugar filled drinks in there mouth.

Quoting Mom2Squared: Actually it is because of the milk/juice in the bottle. A pacifier isn't good at that age either though, both can cause a shift of the teeth causing major dental problems.

Quoting mylilprincesses: Its not any different than a pacifier unless you are referring to bottle rott with is totally different thing.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Just take it away cold turkey. She doesn't need it. Don't give her anything at naps and bed time. She needs to learn and right about now seems like the perfect time. Don't give in.

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

With DD I started weaning her at 10 months.  She didn't like the sippy cup at first so it started with a regular bottle of water and then a real cup and then she went to the sippy cup.  I let her have the bottle until she was completely off of her formula just after 13 months.  I threw away the bottles and she didn't seem to care but if she would have cared it would have been too late because all the bottles were gone. 

athorne
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I had the same problem wth my daugher as well. I tried several types of sippy cups before I found the one that she liked. I found one that had a nipple that was made from the same plastic as her bottle and she really liked it. It might take time but you will find something.

kadensmomma0708
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Quoting Mom2Squared: Actually it is because of the milk/juice in the bottle. A pacifier isn't good at that age either though, both can cause a shift of the teeth causing major dental problems.

She only gets water at bed.  My kids dont drink juice/soda/sugary drinks, its bad for them regardless of how they drink it.   She lost her paci at the same time i tried taking her bottle, she gave that up in one night. I just wish the bottle was as easy.

kadensmomma0708
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Quoting athorne:

I had the same problem wth my daugher as well. I tried several types of sippy cups before I found the one that she liked. I found one that had a nipple that was made from the same plastic as her bottle and she really liked it. It might take time but you will find something.

The thing is, like i said, she drinks from regular adult cups, straws and sippys....at dinner, snacks, throughout the day she gets a cup without a lid or a straw, drinks sippys in the car...its only at bedtime that she refuses a sippy, and freaks out about wanting her bottle.

Mom2Squared
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Simple fix: don't give it to her. Whose the parent? A child that she should not have a bottle! Her teeth are going to be all jacked up!

Quoting kadensmomma0708:

Quoting athorne:

The thing is, like i said, she drinks from regular adult cups, straws and sippys....at dinner, snacks, throughout the day she gets a cup without a lid or a straw, drinks sippys in the car...its only at bedtime that she refuses a sippy, and freaks out about wanting her bottle.

1-Proud-Momma
by New Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Don't worry so much about her not sleeping when she gets tired enough she will crash for what seems like forever... sick to her not having the Bottle and eventually she will just get over the fact that you haven't given them to her. If you have to just throw the bottles away then she can't find them at all which will help her realize she can't have them anymore and that she's a big girl now.

Quoting kadensmomma0708:

I know it is bad for her teeth, which is why I started trying around 8 months.  At one point, she refused luquids for 2 days, because it wasnt in a bottle, that was before she could drink out of regular cups or a sippy.  Now she hasnt slept since the night before last, because she hasnt had a bottle, and not sleeping doesnt seem to phase her. Sigh.  is it too late to drop her off at the fire station ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)