Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How would you respond?

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son has always been the inquisitive type, and he's a deep thinker. Lately he's been asking a lot of questions that I really don't know how to answer. I don't want to lie to him, so I've been trying to think of a way to explain them to him.

He's asked me what makes a boy a boy and what makes a girl a girl? I told him "you have a penis, and that makes you a boy. A girl has a different body part, and that's what makes her a girl." He asked does it look different? I said yes (wrong answer!!!) he's now been asking what it looks like.

He is also wanting to know where babies come from.
How do you make a baby? (This was said in front of him by someone who said to my SIL "you're gonna make a beautiful baby")
And why does aunt sassy get so fat when a baby is coming?
How did a baby get in her belly, and how will it get out?

He's 4
by on May. 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ahousto4
by New Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:22 AM

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?category_id=406392

check out the link and buy a book. just answer honestly and don't be afraid to use medical terms.wink mini

booaura
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Be honest and explain it to him, using medical terms, not slang. If he wants to know, I see no reason not to show and explain it. The human body is natural, no need to sexualize it at his age, just show him and explain how things work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:05 AM
I just answer with the truth. Why hide it? There us nothing wrong with knowing how a baby is made and how it comes out and why we get big bellies. The only thing I wouldn't know about is what does it look like. I have girls and a boy and we're an open household. We've all seen each other naked since they were born. Usually my son is by my side when I'm changing.
whoodathunk
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Answer age appropriately.  Find a age appropriate book if you're having a hard time.  There's likely good information on the internet as well.  Make sure to include that he doesn't discuss private issues at school or you'll be "that mom" whose kid spilled it to their kid!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM

been there and done that.  Well you have to tell the truth but age appropriate.   You have to explain to him that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina the girl parts are made different to accomodate the boy's penis.  You can very easily show the concept with a eletric plug.   As for a baby conception I don't remember how I explained it to my daughter. 

I've had my share of awkward explaining to do because my ex-husband's girlfriend is about as small as a bowl of soup and has told me DD about her IUD, internal clock and how her daughter is a condom baby. SMH 

chaotic.mind
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I would just answer him honestly. It's better that he hear the truth from you than stories he could hear from other kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)