Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dog Breed Advice....

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 32 Replies

So SO and I have decided that we wanna get a dog for the kids, We have been looking at the shelter but we have also been looking at breed rescues too. We have been trying to decide on what breed, we want to get eithier a Pittbull mix, beagle, labrador (mix) or english bulldog. My son Mason has grown up with pittbull mixes, and cattle dogs. Charlie really hasn't been around dogs much. I would like to get a smaller dog too. Does anyone have advice?

by on May. 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Are you an active family ?.Do you want a active dog or a couch potato. How much attention are you able to give to the dog?
Cheyennesmommy4
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM

We are quite an active family, we like to go out hiking and during sping/summer we spend alot of time outdoors. We would like a combination of a active dog and couch potato. I work part-time for only a few days a week so I am home quite a bit with the kids when they aren't at school or daycare.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM

well stay away from super active / high energy breeds like German Shepherds, any kind of Border Collie, german shorthair pointers etc.     Brittany Spaniels are an excellent combination of both they are a medium sized dog.  You can also look at Whippets / Greyhound rescues.  They are surprisingly calm.   Boxers also make excellent dogs and Pittbulls you have all sizes and they can be awesome cuddlers yet active. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Labs are a hit and miss.  They can be extremely hyper. 

If you don't mind telling me where you're at I'm sure I can pull up tons of rescue places / dogs that are being given away.

Cheyennesmommy4
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I've had labs before so has SO He really wants to get a Lab mix, we have been looking at rescue places/websites. My SO is a hunter and quite the outdoorsman.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Labs are a hit and miss.  They can be extremely hyper. 

If you don't mind telling me where you're at I'm sure I can pull up tons of rescue places / dogs that are being given away.

Marinemom03
by on May. 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM
My pit bulls have been the favorites of mine.they can be the sweetest dogs.just make sure if your not getting a puppy how he's been treated and raised in the past just to be safe..pits are loveable
twinners.mama
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a Dane so I don't have any advice for you :) haha especially since you want a smaller dog!

Bump for you op
Cheyennesmommy4
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

My so and i both love pitts, we were debating between a lab, lab x pitt mix or bulldog.

Quoting Marinemom03: My pit bulls have been the favorites of mine.they can be the sweetest dogs.just make sure if your not getting a puppy how he's been treated and raised in the past just to be safe..pits are loveable

DACIA79
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM
My boys grew up with an Australian Shepherd named Frisbee.

If you love the outdoors they are perfect. If you want a dog that loves family time they can do that to.

Aussies come in miniature and standard size.

Quoting DACIA79: Are you an active family ?.Do you want a active dog or a couch potato. How much attention are you able to give to the dog?
Marinemom03
by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM
I'm no help,I love them all

Quoting Cheyennesmommy4:

My so and i both love pitts, we were debating between a lab, lab x pitt mix or bulldog.

Quoting Marinemom03: My pit bulls have been the favorites of mine.they can be the sweetest dogs.just make sure if your not getting a puppy how he's been treated and raised in the past just to be safe..pits are loveable

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)