Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does your child have food allergies? Does your family doubt the allergies are real?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM
  • 7 Replies
Do you have Family Members who don't believe your child's Food Allergies are real? If so, what do they attribute your child's health issues to? How have you dealt with this ignorance?

Your answers could be included in an upcoming post on The Stir.
by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ricksmama
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:17 AM
My son is allergic to red food dye,I learned early on not to care what anyone else thinks concerning my children. I do what I need to take care of my kids and my motto is if you don't like don't look
BrooklynsMom11
by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM
My dd is allergic to peanuts. Nobody questions it since we ended up at the hospital after her first reaction. I don't think they ever would have questioned it anyway. Regardless, we could care less what everyone else thinks about it.
MomFantastic
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM

My friend tells everyone how her daughter is DEATHLY allergic to milk, even if it touches her. Yet her daughter hates Epipens so they don't give her epipens or take her to the doctor when she has a reaction.  The daughter also lies about having secretly had a reaction but not telling us until a week later even though I was right with her and know the signs having had one myself.  She did not have one that day.

We don't believe her or the parents and no one else does either. Now the younger child lies and says his throat is tingling and closing if he wants to get different food.  The former school would not give her the medicine without signs of a reaction and the pediatrician agreed. So they switched schools, doctors, churches, etc...

She and her mother do it for attention. It hurts everyone who has allergies.

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM
He does but no one doubts it due to witnessing severe reactions.
nana776
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 11:31 PM

When my oldest was little, I discovered that he was sensitive to red food dyes, artificial flavors and aspartame. They contributed to his behavior problems. Aspartame was the worst, he would go into rages and have psychotic episodes whenever he had them. 

A therapist that he was seeing didn't believe me so she deliberately gave him a diet soda. She didn't tell me about it either. It started to hit him after we got home and I eventually got him to admit what had happened. I was soooo angry. Needless to say, she was no longer his therapist.

My dad and brother had problems believing me at first, but after giving him processed foods without my knowledge and witnessing the results, they soon got it. 

nelliesmommy
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM
My oldest son is allergic to milk, eggs, and fish. He will break out in terrible hives.
CalicoMeezer
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM
My dd is allergic to coconut, all legumes including a life-threatening peanut allergy, and tree nuts (also life-threatening). My family does not disbelieve her allergies, but they downplay how important it is to avoid her non-life-threatening allergies. They are of the "oh, just a little won't hurt her" mindset.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)