Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Our final arrangements!!!

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM
  • 31 Replies
I just realized today,after being sent on a dangerous job in a dangerous area that if something happened to me an my husband( we work together) that I haven't made any plans for my kids future ,I mean today scared me so bad that I was like if we both get shot on the job what would become of my family??? So has anyone made plans??
by on May. 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nebcutie
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM
We have plans in place with family but will get it in a will after this baby is born... my dd does know what will happen also as she made the choice of what would happen.
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM

more or less yes.   I have life insurance for a sizable amount.  1/2 goes to DD, 1/2 goes to DH (which is her step father) - If DD is not yet 18 - guardians for the money have already been assigned.  Full custody will automatically go to my ex-husband (unfortunately) because he is her birth father.  My husband already has a double plot in a cemetary, one space where his first wife is burried and he has the next, we have a running joke, that he is to be burried next to his first wife I will be put in there too but have my engraving on the back side and it'll say "Right behind you babe" LOL

I do have to have a real will made though.

clairewait
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Yes.

We have a will.

My husband is an attorney (I work as his paralegal) and I just wrote our official wills this year, though... we're about to have baby #4.

Listen, google "Holographic Will." In the time before you get something legally drafted, you can at least cover yourself in the event of a freak accident and it will greatly ease the process for your surviving family.

But I definitely encourage you to put at the top of your "TO DO" list ... call an attorney and create a will. In my town, a Last Will and Testament, Power of Attorney, and Healthcare Power of Attorney for a couple (6 documents total) runs between $400 and $500. Well worth it.

Ricksmama
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 6:39 AM
Quoting nebcutie: We have plans in place with family but will get it in a will after this baby is born... my dd does know what will happen also as she made the choice of what would happen.
That's great
Ricksmama
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Quoting Jinxed8:

more or less yes.   I have life insurance for a sizable amount.  1/2 goes to DD, 1/2 goes to DH (which is her step father) - If DD is not yet 18 - guardians for the money have already been assigned.  Full custody will automatically go to my ex-husband (unfortunately) because he is her birth father.  My husband already has a double plot in a cemetary, one space where his first wife is burried and he has the next, we have a running joke, that he is to be burried next to his first wife I will be put in there too but have my engraving on the back side and it'll say "Right behind you babe" LOL

I do have to have a real will made though.

I need to get my stuff together
Ricksmama
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 6:44 AM
Quoting clairewait:

Yes.

We have a will.

My husband is an attorney (I work as his paralegal) and I just wrote our official wills this year, though... we're about to have baby #4.

Listen, google "Holographic Will." In the time before you get something legally drafted, you can at least cover yourself in the event of a freak accident and it will greatly ease the process for your surviving family.

But I definitely encourage you to put at the top of your "TO DO" list ... call an attorney and create a will. In my town, a Last Will and Testament, Power of Attorney, and Healthcare Power of Attorney for a couple (6 documents total) runs between $400 and $500. Well worth it.

Thanks for the info after being scared yesterday it's now at the top of my list
SlightlyPerfect
Today at 7:59 AM
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM
We have everything in place. You should too. For your kids.
SlightlyPerfect
Today at 7:59 AM
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Did you ever look into it online? We've always used our family lawyer, but some of my friends say it's too expensive and have looked at places like Legal Zoom. Just wondering how those compare in your opinion.

Quoting clairewait:

Yes.

We have a will.

clairewait
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: Did you ever look into it online? We've always used our family lawyer, but some of my friends say it's too expensive and have looked at places like Legal Zoom. Just wondering how those compare in your opinion.

I mean sure. You can use Legal Zoom. But here's what you are NOT getting from Legal Zoom: the expertise and advice of an actual attorney, who sits down with you and your husband and talks to you about all the things nobody ever thinks about.

My will was free. :)  I drafted it and my husband proofed it (and provided all the legal jargon) and an associate notarized it. But when people ask my husband (or me) what is better, going to an attorney or using legal zoom, we lways tell them there's just nothing like getting it all in there and correct the first time. Plus, any attorney worth his salt will allow you to make updates to your will as your children outgrow the stuff you put in there when they are very young, or if your financial/personal situation (at some point) drastically changes.

Anyway. Just things to consider. Legal Zoom is fine. I don't dissuade people from using it. But for not much more, it is worth it (to me) to just have everything done by an attorney.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on May. 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

We need to make a will

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)