Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Hubby and son ignored me on Mothers Day

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, neither my 12 yo son nor my husband did anything for Mothers Day...no card, gift, anything.  They did say, "Happy Mothers Day" but nothing else.  Of course, my birthday was 1 and a half weeks before Mothers Day and they pretty much ignored that too (no card, gift, etc) and dh said he would just take me out to buy something but let it be known how much of an inconvenience it was.  I am very hurt and really am having a hard time being around either one and find myself being resentful when they want me to go out of my way to do something for them.  Plus, both have milestone birthdays this year and I am expected to do it up (especially since dh will be 50).  Any suggestions on how to get past this and am I wrong to be hurt/angry?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM

so don't do anything special for them either ... why would you bend over backwards when they don't even get you a card ? 

sonshining
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I'd be hurt too, and I have been. This is what I've learned to do over the years. About 5 or so years ago, I announced to dh and stepsons - "tomorrows Mothers Day, I'm not doing ANY chores" or "one more week to Mothers Day, I'll show you what I want". Now, it doesn't always work, I thought I had my dh trained but last year I didn't get anything either. So this year I once again made the announcement to both my dh and son, now 11, I would like a gift, a coffe mug or book or earrings, I don't care as long as I get a gift. And I let my son know and every time I saw a commercial I said "Yay, Mothers day's coming up, I can't wait, don't forget MY gift!" Sorry, gotta love them but we HAVE to do more than drop hints, we have to SAY SOMETHING!.

shann77
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM
yep sounds about my day, my son is only 2, but i didn't get any recognition either. he treated me like crap and was rude, we didn't speak for 3 days, never did get an apology. i'm not going to be spiteful tho, i'm going to kill him with kindness on fathers day.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Sounds like this is more than just a Mother's Day issue. Could it be that you are going unappreciated most of the time?

I'd probably start with a heart to heart with husband. He's the one who has to make the changes and set the example.

And I don't think you are asking too much. I demand to be pretty much treated like a queen in my house, and I feel like when my expectations for that stay high, I'm not often disappointed. But it is something that my husband and I have frequently communicated about - words of affirmation is my love language and I need to feel appreciated or I also get resentful.

xMaddiex
by on May. 16, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Sorry momma:/ That really really does suck. It's called mother's day and father's day for a reason! I got more than I ever imagined for mother's day and I'll be doing the same for father's day. His mom even did crafts with our daughter for me on mother's day. I hope I can reach his level for father's day! Lol. Honestly, I would do the same when his birthday/father's day came around. I didn't do much for my mom/dad for mother's or father's day growing up though, I really wouldn't hold it against your son since he's only 12. 

lilguysmom
by on May. 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Update...tonight in the car, I said something about not even getting a card for Mothers Day and how it upset me.  Dh says, Ds didn't make you a card?  I told him to.  Then he goes on about how if he had to take him to the store to buy one, it would be his money spent since DS doesn't have any.  This gem was followed by the revelation that my belated birthday gift was supposed to cover Easter, birthday AND Mothers Day.  Wow.  News to me and it isn't't like I got a huge or highly expensive gift for my birthday.  And yes, I am pretty much taken for granted all the time...except when either of them need/want something.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN