Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

This is a plus-sized model?

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM
  • 27 Replies

Mobile Photo

The only thing plus sized about her is her boobs. I really hate the message this is telling my daughter.
How do you counter societal ideals with your kids?
by on May. 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fudgybuddymom
by Linda on May. 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM

It may be a simple idea but I have told her from day one she is beautiful. I know teens tradtionally don't believe their parents but for some reason my messages of how lovely she is seem to be getting through. When I talk of weight gain I only talk of what I want to do about my overweight body & encourage her to come along when I finally take the plunge & go to Weight Watcher's. I encourage her to dress as she pleases except for big occassions like dances & our family portrait-I gave up long ago trying to get her to conform to my own likes or dislikes. Hence she dresses better than me. I also try to make her understand that the ideas the media gives us as the "perfect" girl or woman image is not real but a lot of photo shopping etc.

whoodathunk
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

She is gorgeous!  I think that a size 12 is now considered plus sized as far as modeling goes.  Blows my mind!

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on May. 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Beautiufl.I am a 12 and I think a 14 is considered plus size.

MommyKarma
by on May. 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this

She was bigger, she has been heavily altered and photoshopped, so says the ENORMOUS mismatched arm on HER right side. LOL.

buttercup24
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM
I thought that a size 8 was considered plus size for models.
CMay2CK
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM
I saw a few pics where she looked a bit heavier, but this was the only pic I could find that was 1. Head to toe and 2. Wearing clothes, LOL!!

Quoting MommyKarma:

She was bigger, she has been heavily altered and photoshopped, so says the ENORMOUS mismatched arm on HER right side. LOL.

CMay2CK
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Now that really scares me!!

Quoting buttercup24: I thought that a size 8 was considered plus size for models.
godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

To be honest i don't care what society says. Society has everything backwards. This woman is NOT plus size.

buttercup24
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM
I totally agree.

Quoting CMay2CK: Now that really scares me!!

Quoting buttercup24: I thought that a size 8 was considered plus size for models.
SpiritedWitch
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

No, she is not. Today's standards of what is "fat" and "thin" are disgusting. A size 12 is NOT fat or obese. It used to be considered NORMAL/AVERAGE and a size 0 was UNDERWEIGHT. Plus didn't start until size 16 or 18. I feel sorry for our girls and boys that are growing up in this world. 

Oh, and his dad talked to him about how there are "no ugly women". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)