Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My husband will probably get fired today

Posted by on May. 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • 24 Replies

I am beside myself with worry. Me and hubby both work but we live paycheck to paycheck and have a mortgage. My husband, who works his butt off, wasn't able to finish a project in time for a client at work and his boss called him last night and cussed him out, then called a meeting with him this morning. I feel so bad for him, he has been working 12 hour days to try to finish and it was just impossible. Now, he cost the company a 5 million dollar job.

I guess I'm posting this for support and advice. I told him that I wasn't upset or didn't feel let down by him b/c I know he did the best he could and we would find a way to make it until he finds another job. But really, I am eating myself up with worry. I don't know what we will do. I guess we can delay the mortgage a month if we call them and explain, but I just don't know. Anyone else go through something similiar? What did you do? I have 2 kids also and they both go to daycare which costs $1,000 a month. :(

If you pray, please pray that my husband either doesn't lose his job or that he finds another one quickly and that I have the strength to be who he needs me to be during this trying time.

I will update later when I find out what happened in the meeting.

UPDATE: My husband said he was put on 30 days probation and if he makes any mistakes, he will be fired. So, he is taking that as a clue to find another job. Thankfully he wasn't laid off today, so he has a little bit of time to look. I still feel badly for him, but at least we don't have to freak out just yet.

by on May. 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I am really hoping that your husband doesn't lose his job . 

But as far as money is concerned, you can delay a mortgage payment.  If you're always on time they won't make a big deal you'll probably have to pay a fee of some sort.  As far as your kids and day care, I suggest pulling them out of daycare while your husband is home. 

pegasusdancing
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry y'all are going through this. I am praying for y'all. At least your husband has time to find another job. I pray he finds one quickly.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on May. 21, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad he wasn't fired. 30 day probation is not fun but he does have time to begin his job search just in case. Just be proactive with your finances. Start scaling back now and cut where you can as a precaution.

EarlGrayHot
by on May. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Typical of the bigwigs to give impossible deadlines then bitch if you don't make them.  It's boss's fault really but he has to blame someone.  Sorry-good luck.

nana776
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope he finds a better job soon. (((HUGS)))

ArtsyMomma83
by New Member on May. 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Exactly what I told him too! It really wasn't his fault, his manager should have put more than 1 person on the project. Now he is the fall out guy, just someone to put blame on. I heard yesterday the other company gave his company an extension on the deadline, so he worked another 12 hour day and they put someone else on it to help him. I hate the big wigs! They aren't doing the hard work but making the big bucks.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

Typical of the bigwigs to give impossible deadlines then bitch if you don't make them.  It's boss's fault really but he has to blame someone.  Sorry-good luck.

Snowbuny
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 9:21 AM

My husband was fired when our son was born. The company said he didn't show up for work. Even though they knew about the baby (even before they hired him) and he called and told them I was having the baby. We were only at the hospital for 3 days. When he went into work on the 4th day, they fired him. Obviously I wasn't working either. He also didn't qualify for unemployment. It was really tough, but we made it through it. When there is a will there is a way.

5kidsILove
by on May. 22, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Well first thing is first he needs to do his best the next 30 days. And at the same time put in applications everywhere even things like janitor jobs, mcdonalds, etcetera.

Also check and see if you qualify for anything. Free medical for the kids, some states offer free cell phone service to low income, food stamps, clothing and food banks, you and dh may qualify for monetary assistance, you may be able to get free medical for the adults as well as the kids, check into utility help if you are behind on electric or gas etc.

Also consider what you need and don't need. Can you get rid of cable? Can you get rid of internet? Do you need long distance on your phone? Are you paying on a house? If so maybe it's time to move to a smaller cheaper apartment. A $1000 house payment versus a $700 rent payment a month.

If you have a baby or small child get on WIC if you qualify. Even if you are breast feeding. They provide milk, eggs, fresh veggies and fruit, etc.

Cloth diapers are cheaper than disposables and craigslist is full of moms selling them cheap.

You can cut your electric bill by half by making sure you turn things off when they aren't in use. Start with lights. TVs and radios. Computers. Etcetera.

And start saving.

$20 per paycheck and put it into a savings account no one touches unless he ends up out of work.

Hugs hope this helps.
regian19832002
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

hugs

ArtsyMomma83
by New Member on May. 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Thank you for the advice!!!!

Quoting 5kidsILove: Well first thing is first he needs to do his best the next 30 days. And at the same time put in applications everywhere even things like janitor jobs, mcdonalds, etcetera.

Also check and see if you qualify for anything. Free medical for the kids, some states offer free cell phone service to low income, food stamps, clothing and food banks, you and dh may qualify for monetary assistance, you may be able to get free medical for the adults as well as the kids, check into utility help if you are behind on electric or gas etc.

Also consider what you need and don't need. Can you get rid of cable? Can you get rid of internet? Do you need long distance on your phone? Are you paying on a house? If so maybe it's time to move to a smaller cheaper apartment. A $1000 house payment versus a $700 rent payment a month.

If you have a baby or small child get on WIC if you qualify. Even if you are breast feeding. They provide milk, eggs, fresh veggies and fruit, etc.

Cloth diapers are cheaper than disposables and craigslist is full of moms selling them cheap.

You can cut your electric bill by half by making sure you turn things off when they aren't in use. Start with lights. TVs and radios. Computers. Etcetera.

And start saving.

$20 per paycheck and put it into a savings account no one touches unless he ends up out of work.

Hugs hope this helps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)