Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How early did you get your kids to do activities?

Posted by on May. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM
  • 24 Replies

Just thinking into the future a bit, I just wanted to know at what age did your kids start doing activites like sports or dancing or music classes ect. and a follow up question did you put your child in that activity or did they ask to give it a try or you know did you give them options and then they could pick?

by on May. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyofRnW
by New Member on May. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
3 years old soccer and bowling. 4-5 years old baseball. We always ask if it's something they want to do, once signed up they finish out the season (when you make a commitment you stick to it) if they don't like it they don't have to do it the next year. The only thing my boys didn't like was soccer.
toopicky429
by on May. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Both my kids started a dance class at 3. My daughter is 8, and continues with dance classes. My son is 7, and only did dance for one year. Both my kids started a sport when they were 4/5. Both asked to do these activities.
WesternNYmom
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

My daughter was 3 when she started dancing. I enrolled her in a pre ballet class. She started girl scouts in 2nd grade as.a Brownie. She showed no interest before that. My son was 5 when he started playing soccer, and he joined the cub scouts this year. The 1st year he was eligable.  Both of my kids decided to attend summer camp this year instead of playing soccer. My daugher also started playing the violin. our district starts giving lessons in 4th grade. I never forced my kids to do anything they don't want to do. All I ask is that, once the money is payed and uniforms, costumes, instruments are bought or rented, they stick with it for the year/season. 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on May. 24, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Preschool age 4-5

mcginnisc
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM

4 years old. My oldest went to watch her older cousin take Karate and it was all over...she will be a 4th degree brown belt next month and will test for her black belt in November. She is 8.5...

My youngest has watched her sister since she was a baby so it was just natural for her to start at 4.5..she will be 6 in August. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

ReachtotheStars
by on May. 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I start a variety of things around 2.  

Swim at 6 months (got my youngest in at 4 months).  

My youngest just turned 3 and is old enough to pick his own activities and he lost the privilege to be in gymnastics because he wouldn't listen to the instructor so she kicked him out.  He had the option of dance, tball, soccer or a second swim class, and he choose a second swim class.  

My oldest has does a variety of things but at 4 he settled on tap dance.  He is autistic so it was a little harder to find something where he could fit in.  

I feel it is important to start active lifestyles young, and it teaches team work.  

whoodathunk
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM

My daughter started dance classat 2. She used to follow along with a cartoon and it was so cute that I called a studio and started her.  Both kids did the church nursery and then Sunday school from the time they were babies.  We did library activities from about 2 until the flu hit and then we became hermits for  a while.  I think it depends on your child, what's available and how much you feel like driving them around!

aarensmommy
by on May. 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM

kindergarden. ds1 started tball and 1st grade he started scouts.

Precious_Brat
by on May. 26, 2014 at 3:57 AM

My ds1 started martial arts at 6 while I was deployed and ex had him. No I did not approve due to medical risk factors with him. He is now 10 and no longer participates due to the increased required sparing. His father has him now and he won't agree to any of my suggestions and the only one he ever puts on the table is martial arts. So annoying. Ds 2 is 29 months old and has been in swimming for 7 months now. It was a rough first month but we stuck it through. Now he loves going and it's one of the few things he says yes to when asked.. He's 2 so no is his favorite word.

sissyboogs
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 4:01 AM

We tried to get my son to do soccer when he was 4. He had asked, but then at tryouts (which was really team placement), he decided he didn't want to do it. He has refused any other sports ideas (t-ball, soccer again, basketball camp, etc...) He wants to take piano lessons though, so we will sign him up for that this fall. He's 6 now. 

My daughter is 4. We will be signing her up for dance and gymnastics this fall. It's something I suggested, but she LOVES to dance and is very excited about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)