Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Family involvment

Posted by on May. 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 44 Replies
How involved are your siblings with your children ?? Do they go to every sports game, school event, graduation ceremony ?
by on May. 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM

My brother is very involved in DD's life. We are close though so it was a given and he likes children. 

StreetsAhead
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM
My siblings would but they live abroad, or rather I live abroad.
nuts4scouts
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM

We live in different towns. We have our own lives.

So, while my sister is close to my children, she has never attended every event they ever had, including their graduations (which are typically limited by the SCHOOLS to ONLY immediate family).

She was busy attending those events for her children.

Even if she was not married, or had no children, I would not expect her to attend every school/sport/etc event for mine.

If she had expressed interest in doing so, that would be different. However I would NEVER EXPECT it.

iamcafemom83
by Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM
None of our siblings live in town. Neither of my sisters send bday gifts for the kids, so I stopped doing that for their kids. I still send a card though.
But my mom, grandparents and an aunt live in town. My mom is pretty involved.
SandyWT6
by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Some of my family is very involved while some are not. Grandoarents go to most soccer games and practices and my ine sister and her family come too. We also do a lot of get togethers and activties in the summer. We are very blessed to have such a large and extended family.
MommaDragon4
by New Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM

My sisters and i all live very close to each other, so we are all very involved in all the kids lives. All the cousins are so close, its almost like they are all siblings

Chibee
by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM

my dd says my mother is "her best friend".   I'm pretty sure my grandfather was reincarnated as my dd tho....  its eery how alike the two are.

lizzig
by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 8:18 AM

all of my siblings & parents live in other states.  my oldest sibling is the closest, about 4hrs away & she is more involved than anyone else on mine or hubby's side.  she comes to town 1-3x's a year for work & stays with us.  we'll go visit her & have even gone on vacation together. 

my mom used to come down for a couple of weeks every summer till last summer when she got sick.  she didn't start that though till '07 when i had my second.

my 4 other siblings only see my kids when i go to them, non have ever made an effort to come visit me.  the last time they saw my kids was about 3 years ago when our grandma passed away.  before that it was for a nieces wedding in '07.

i'm the youngest of 6, have the youngest children & make the least amount of money so it's not easy for me to make the 12hr trip back home often.  my siblings have grown or teenage children & can afford the trip but they never bother.  even when they litterally pass by me on the way to the beach they never stop or call. 

my husband's family is still in mexico & the kids & i have yet to meet them.  he does have two uncles that live near us that used to be part of our daughter's life but they had a falling out a few years ago & havne't been around since.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 8:24 AM

yes my sisters r very munch part of thier life they cant always make everything but they try to be there as munch as they can and my little baby sister babysits alot my older sisters lives kinda far tho

vlbomar
by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM
My family is very involved, his side- nope not a chance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)