Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

impromptu BBQ

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

so yesterday one conversation lead to another, my daughter ended up in my neighbor's yard playing with his daughter and next thing I know he's starting his BBQ and asking me to go get my dinner's meat - his wife comes out and says she has sausages, hotdogs, burgers, it's enough that we'll share as neighbors should.  She was missing buns though ...

I'm like "holy smokes they're keeping us for dinner" so I ran home real quick to grab hotdog buns and raided my fridge (thank god I had done groceries on Saturday) and made a quick platter of raw veggies, pretzels and pita chips.  I felt like it was the least I could do, I didn't want to impose, they insisted.  It was awkward but really fun at the same time ...

I would be the type to do this too ... and I intend to reciprocate to my neighbors one of these days.  How would you react if this happened to you ?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We end up doing this once or twice a month.  We love hosting and budget to cover the meat for our guests.  :)

Don't over-think things and let yourself feel blessed to have nice neighbors.

nana776
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I love things like that. It just feels so neighborly and old-fashioned, ya know? I would have done the same as you, ran home and raided the fridge and cupboards.

TM30
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I think it's hilarious, in a good way. I would have been so caught off guard and would have ran around like a chicken with its head cutoff because I'm a planner. We would have had a good laugh. I love it!

natural_s
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

This is how neighbors should be. I miss my old neighborhood because it was so family oriented. We had BBQ's together, you could wake up and see someone who was out trimming their hedges and then next thing they are over trimming yours, passing small things like eggs, milk, etc. You could actually go outside and know that your neighbor was going to say hi to you, lol.

I agree with Mrs.Kubalabuku and just soak in the fact that you have friendly neighbors that more than likely if you are ever in a real bind will not think twice in helping out.

Next time if I was you I would host a BBQ and invite them over. Sounds like the right people to have living near you.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I know - my old next door neighbor was AWESOME and I miss her A LOT - we used to invite each other over ALL the time.  We use to give each other food over the fense all the time, she was greek so we had two very different cooking styles, she loved my food, I loved hers.  She would babysit my daughter, I helped her clean up after her parties, I'd be invited every year for Greek Easter.  I miss her terribly.

We are very friendly with the people on the left side, I have since they moved in, they are a couple a little younger than us.  We have a key to their house and take care of their cats and pool when they go away.  Although I take a pet sitter, they also get a house key when we're gone, they pick up our mail and go check on the dogs when the sitter isn't there.

But yes I'm soaking in it ! very happy that we finally are on friendly terms ... took 4 years, but it was worth the wait !

Quoting natural_s:

This is how neighbors should be. I miss my old neighborhood because it was so family oriented. We had BBQ's together, you could wake up and see someone who was out trimming their hedges and then next thing they are over trimming yours, passing small things like eggs, milk, etc. You could actually go outside and know that your neighbor was going to say hi to you, lol.

I agree with Mrs.Kubalabuku and just soak in the fact that you have friendly neighbors that more than likely if you are ever in a real bind will not think twice in helping out.

Next time if I was you I would host a BBQ and invite them over. Sounds like the right people to have living near you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)