Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

President Obama May Have Made a Big Mistake in Bringing American POW Home

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 9 Replies
President Obama May Have Made a Big Mistake in Bringing American POW Home

by Jenny Erikson

Barack ObamaWhile we all celebrate the return of Bowe Bergdahl to American soil after five years of being held captive by the Taliban as a prison of war, it's kind of important to recognize what a goldmine of awfulness the whole situation is. Of course we don't want to leave any soldiers behind on the battlefield, but is that what really happened?

No. No, it's not. Bergdahl was captured by the Taliban after he allegedly wandered off into the Afghan desert after becoming disillusioned with the war. The military never classified him a deserter, but ... yeah. He was never classified as a POW either, so there's that.

Days before he disappeared, he even wrote to his parents, "... I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting ... I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting."

I'm pretty sure that American heroes don't go around saying America is disgusting.

In fact, members of his platoon who had signed non-disclosure agreements not to discuss the circumstances of his capture or the subsequent rescue missions -- which killed six soldiers, by the way -- haven't been able to keep quiet about Bergdahl since President Obama tried to hero-fy him by trading five top level Al-Qaida terrorists out of Gitmo for him.

Holy moly, there is so much to unpack in that last paragraph it's ridiculous.

OK. So Bergdahl's platoon-mates thought he was kind of an asshole. Sgt. Matt Viekant said, "I was pissed off then, and I am even more so now with everything going on ... Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war, and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him."

Many others reported feeling "betrayed" by Bergdahl's "selfish" actions.

Now let's talk about the six men who lost their lives searching for him. Spc. Cody Full, also a member of the platoon at the time, said, "A huge thing in-country is not building patterns. Well when you are looking for a person every day that creates a pattern. While searching for him, ambushes and IEDs picked up tremendously. Enemy knew we would be coming. IEDs started being placed more effectively in the coming weeks. Ambushes were more calculated, cover and concealment was used."

Oh, and that's not including the eight soldiers who died at the dangerous combat outpost COP Keating as a result of its delayed closing, since valuable resources like drones and sheer manpower were diverted to look for Bergdahl.

OK. So Bergdahl was kind of a jerkface who had no business serving his country. BUT. He was still a prisoner of war (well, not technically), and we don't leave our own behind. We're also not supposed to negotiate with terrorists. Everyone who's seen Austin Powers knows that. Sheesh.

AND -- and and and (!!) President Obama kinda sorta broke the law to bring him home. And he pissed off one of the most liberal senators in Congress, Diane Feinstein. In case you didn't know (don't feel bad, I didn't either ... I mean I thought it was shady, but I didn't know it was illegal) there's a 2013 law "requiring a 30-day notice for any transfer of Guantanamo inmates."

"It's very disappointing there was not a level of trust to tell us," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday. Dude, if Obama pisses Feinstein off, you know it's bad news.

Well, at least another top Democrat, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, is #TeamObama. He said he's "glad to get rid of these five people." I don't think that anyone explained to him that freeing terrorists isn't exactly "getting rid" of them. 

So did we do the right thing bringing Bergdahl home?
Or were the costs simply too high?
What do you think?

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
fredsbride
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:35 AM
I think it was wrong. Wrong person to free because he abandoned the military, although I'm sure he may have had valid reasons to want to leave, he didn't think of his fellow soldiers that would risk their lives looking for him. As for obama, he's fishy I think he has anterior motives,. He could of tried instead to free Miriam Ibrahim or her two innocent children, or another man by the name pastor saeed.
EarlGrayHot
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Bergdahl was captured by the enemy and that makes him a POW.  That's what calls into play the motto of not leaving a soldier (a prisoner of war) behind.  Obama did the right thing.  If Bergdahl is guilty of something then we should prosecute him and we cannot do that if he's not here to be put on trial.  Nor do I think Obama "made a hero" out of the guy just because he traded five Taliban for one American.  That was the price the Taliban insisted upon and we had to pay it to get the guy back.

Miranda1127
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM

I think this is ....shocking. IDK if it was the right decision. I certainly feel for the POW and his family, but at the same time I worry about what it could do in the future....the impression that it gives. We have always been a non negotiating country and I think it's very important for us to be one.

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:48 PM
MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE. Please it was an act of treason. We hang traitors here in the United States.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miranda1127
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM

is this a fact. This is the 15th (ish) story about this and every story is different. Is it a fact he deserter? If so I think it's really strange that this is the person 'we' chose to negotiate with terrorists about. It just feel wrong....like there is another reason we negotiated....a real reason.

Quoting Jenn8604: MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE. Please it was an act of treason. We hang traitors here in the United States.

timon95
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM

agree - let's just trade 5 guys for 1 that abandoned his country and fellow soldiers. shoulda traded them for Saeed and Miriam and her family.

Quoting fredsbride: I think it was wrong. Wrong person to free because he abandoned the military, although I'm sure he may have had valid reasons to want to leave, he didn't think of his fellow soldiers that would risk their lives looking for him. As for obama, he's fishy I think he has anterior motives,. He could of tried instead to free Miriam Ibrahim or her two innocent children, or another man by the name pastor saeed.

family car

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM
I'm talking about Obama being a traitor here by aiding the Taliban by giving back their leaders to them. It was an act of treason to trade the 5 leaders back whether the soldier was a deserter or the best ever.

Quoting Miranda1127:

is this a fact. This is the 15th (ish) story about this and every story is different. Is it a fact he deserter? If so I think it's really strange that this is the person 'we' chose to negotiate with terrorists about. It just feel wrong....like there is another reason we negotiated....a real reason.

Quoting Jenn8604: MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE. Please it was an act of treason. We hang traitors here in the United States.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
I don't think it is my place to judge. First we only know what the media is telling us. Also, we don't know his mental state and how the war changed him.
slw123
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM
I don't know if he deserted or not, but we DON'T negotiate with terrorists, EVER. Yet we released 5 prisoners of war in trade for 1 solider who may or may not have been a deserter, which now makes us more vulnerable to potential hostage taking.

If the president wanted him back so badly there were other ways of getting him back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN