Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does your grocery bill increase in the summer?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 35 Replies

This is the last week of school for my son and I went to the grocery store earlier.

I bought things for lunch and snacks next week and holy cow, my grocery bill was a bit higher than usual. I completely forgot how having the kiddo home during the summer effects the grocery bill.

Does your grocery bill increase in the summer? Do you find yourself having to buy more this time of the year?

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Our grocery bill actually goes down in the summer.  We're out fishing more (eat what we catch), less meats, more fruits and vegetables, more get togethers (other people cooking or pot lucks), etc.  Plus with the hot weather we're drinking more and eating less in general. 

JessiFaye
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

My son isn't in school yet, so that doesn't affect it. But we tend to grill out a lot during the summer, so we end up with a bunch of random things we want to try, so sometimes it goes up. In the winter, we're more boring. lol

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM

So far not that much. Our town is doing a free sack lunch for kids monday-Friday during this summer at different locations around town. It started Monday so we have been going all week. I have been getting yogurt, making pudding, and fresh fruits for snacks. Hasn't really gone up much.

jessimicuh
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Yes. They play more they want to drink more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wantz
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Having the kids home definitely increases it, but when the garden starts producing, that will help.

grneyedormom
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM
No, it goes up during the school year. During the summer my kid is gone to her dad's more than she's home.
booaura
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM
No, none of my kids are in school yet :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Nope.

My grocery bill doesn't go up. It pretty much stays the same.

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Yes.  During the school year, they're good with a piece of toast & fruit for breakfast.  A packed lunch is a sandwich, bag of chips or granola bar, and piece of fruit.  But during the summer, they eat like 2 breakfasts-one around 8 am and one around 11 am and a bigger lunch, plus snacks through out the day.  And these are healthy, active kids.  I'm guessing the kids who kind of lay around eating all day make the grocery bill go up even more lol.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

yes it goes up - lots of snacks for DD.  This summer I didn't register her for a summer day camp except for 2 weeks so she'll be home a lot, therefore eating a lot :)

Summer for me screams, having a drink after a swim in the pool, get togethers & BBQs which means buying more food, more beer, but it's all worth it in the end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)