Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Junk food?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM
  • 14 Replies

How do you handle it when your kids are offered food you don't want them to have? I have offended our neighbor because I said the snacks he offered my 2 yo had too much sugar for him, so no thank you. (I always offer his sons our snacks--at the local park--which they love.) How do I handle this as my son gets older and wants some of this really junky junk? I let him have some junk at a recent birthday party--I don't want to be an ogre--and he melted down and started crying (not usual behavior). Junk overload! Also, my concern is that he will start to reject his beloved kale and squash (we really got lucky--he is a great eater)

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Hmm that's a hard one. I usually say I'll put it up for later.
clairewait
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:32 PM

It depends on the age of my kids. I wouldn't let my neighbors hand out sweets every day to my 2yo either and would risk offending them if that is what it meant. (Strange. I probably wouldn't get along with such a neighbor.)

But this year my 1st grader had junk food at school more days a week than not. Between birthday parties and "sweet treat" days, I finally just had to get over it. It has never ruined her appetite and she still eats really healthy at meals. If it ever became an issue that interfered with healthy eating I'd fight it. Otherwise, c'est la vie.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I usually will take the item and turn the person/persons off in a nice way and tuck it away or discard it later.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Well, I can't say I've been through this with strangers. When my in-laws try to give my children soda, I just nicely tell them, I don't want them drinking soda at the moment and they are respectful about it.

aneela
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM

i dont see anythinng wrong with a little junk now and then....mine doesn't choose junk often so i like him have when he wants...most times he eats celery and fruit, cheese, crackers etc and drinks only water

Miranda1127
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I just say no thank you.

sanj1213
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM
I just say no thanks or he can have it later.
timon95
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM

just say no thanks.

slw123
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM
When my kids got older I would tell them that they could have something junky AFTER they had something healthy. My thinking was that I'm not depriving them and they would get full on the healthy thing first and not eat as much junk. Also a big glass if water accompanies this.
splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I would just say no thank you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)