Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Hairy girl, hyperhydrosis, and hormone problems?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

When my baby was born, I noticed she was a bit fuzzy, all over her back and her arms. I figured it was lanugo, and waited (and waited... and waited...) for it to go away but, it never has. She is now 6 years old and is quite hairy all down her back... not seriously noticable, but when up close, moreso than I would expect a little girl to have. Is this normal? 

Also, she has a pretty decent case of hyperhydrosis in her hands and feet, when she gets nervous and when she is concentrating on something. She just graduated kindergarten and has mentioned to me more than once that she was embarassed because her hands were sweaty in gym when they had to hold hands for something and her friend got grossed out b/c her hands were so wet, and also in art when they were doing hand prints, and someone mentioned something about her hand prints on the paper and she didn't even have any paint yet. :( I asked the doc and he said there's really nothing they can do right now, and I actually called the Hyperhydrosis Center of America (or something like that) and spoke to someone, and they were sad to hear of a case so young, and it was the youngest case they had heard of. They told me there is nothing they can really do until she's 12, and that would be botox shots in the hands and feet. :( If it's a more serious problem they might resort to surgery later in life. I just don't want my girl to grow up embarassed or bullied because of these problems. :( :( 

Finally, I'm wondering if these 2 things paired together could indicate a hormone imbalance of some sort? Are there any nurse mamas out there or any mamas who might be going through the same thing who might have some insight for me? 

With all that said, she is a beautiful, confident, kind-hearted sweetheart of a girl who has NO problems making friends. I just know first hand what it is to be bullied (I was quiet and they called me "Mute" for 6 of 8 yrs in elementary school) and I really don't want her to go through it too. 

Thank you...

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM
First things first, have you talked to her pediatrician about your concerns?
MamaLisa1976
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I have, (well not about the hair) but he basically says the same thing the Hyperhydrosis Center of America says. Nothing they can do til she's older, she'll just have to live with it. :( 

Quoting grneyedormom: First things first, have you talked to her pediatrician about your concerns?

grneyedormom
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Is it something one is diagnosed with and if so, has she? Does she run warm?

Quoting MamaLisa1976:

I have, (well not about the hair) but he basically says the same thing the Hyperhydrosis Center of America says. Nothing they can do til she's older, she'll just have to live with it. :( 

Quoting grneyedormom: First things first, have you talked to her pediatrician about your concerns?

MamaLisa1976
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Well she hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor, but I know my hubby has/had it and it caused him great problems in the past, especially with his feet in steel-toed work boots all day all the time. The problems he was encountering have not been present in a long time, and I'm not sure why. But he was diagnosed with it at one point in his life. It just means "excessive sweating" - and it can be in specific areas or it can be all over the body. I wouldn't say my hubby sweats excessively now but he was having a heck of a problem with his feet a few years back. So this also leads me to wonder if it's inherited.

She does not run warm... if anything my girls and I all run a little cool. Our normal temp when taken is in the 97's.

But yes, my girl will just casually have her hands on the table and when she lifts them, sometimes there's a little puddle of sweat where her hand was. I feel especially for 6 yrs old, that is excessive. Other times I will go to grab her hand to just hold it and she will shy away and say "Sorry, my hands are sweaty". :( :( :( I grab her hand anyway and tell her I love her and I'm her mama and I don't care. I've asked her if she's nervous about anything in those times and she says no... and she doesn't appear anxious about anything... I'm just not sure why this is happening.  

Quoting grneyedormom: Is it something one is diagnosed with and if so, has she? Does she run warm?
Quoting MamaLisa1976:

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

My oldest is pretty hairy for a girl and has some serious sweating going on for a 1st grader.

But I'm not terribly worried about it. I dont' think it is hormone imbalance. I was a hairy kid and have always had sweaty feet... have gone through waves of major sweat and waves of normal to under-average sweating. I figure it will either work itself out or we'll deal with it when she hits puberty.

m.garcia21
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM
I was preety hairy on my back and arms growing up, my oldest dd is too and so is my. Little cousin its 100% normal and kinda cute in little kids lol. Dont worry she will grow out of it. But if youre concerned talk to her ped they may be able to run some tets or something
wickedstepjenn
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM
My 11 yr old dd is very hairy. She has hair even on the top of her feet. My dh is very hairy also. I think it is a inherent type of thing for both things.

I dont know how to stop the sweating but I would try maybe some vitamins (children's ofcourse) vit.b suppose to help with heat flashes in us older ladys so maybe it might help with her hands?

I feel so bad for her :-(
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I hope that you will find something that can help your dd.  Here is a link from Children's Hospital Philadelphia on the subject.
http://www.chop.edu/service/surgery-general-thoracic-and-fetal/conditions-we-treat/pediatric-surgery-hyperhidrosis.html

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

See if the pediatrician can refer you to an endocrinologist.  They specialize in hormones and glands.

VinVanMom
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Could be early signs of pcos. Or hairy DNA. My friend didn't sweat body wise but her hands did. She just wiped them a lot. They have powder lotions might help them feel dry. Or maybe spray doedoreant if it was the feet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN