Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Strep gone wild!

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
  • 18 Replies

My 5 year old son had a fever for two days last week (June 2nd-3rd) then got better although he did seem to still be low energy. By the weekend all was well and he was playing outside and running around. Then Monday morning he woke up saying his wrists hurt and the middle knuckles on both hands were red. I figured maybe he injured himself somehow playing at the park. By Tuesday night he was in so much pain he could barely stand and his knuckes were red and swollen. We went to the ER because he was SCREAMING in pain. Turns out  he had strep throat that moved to his joints because it went untreated. He just didn't seem sick to me and when I asked if his throat hurt he had said no.

Has anybody else ever seen this happen? I didn't know strep could take over the whole body like that!

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Glad he is ok....I have not seen it react like that....when my 2nd. son got it, he stopped nursing and they swabbed his throat and it was strep.

leeshuh
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. I've only ever experienced it like that. I just can't believe he was up happy and playing-then WHAM! his whole body is being attacked. I'm so glad he is ok too!

Quoting delanna6two:

Glad he is ok....I have not seen it react like that....when my 2nd. son got it, he stopped nursing and they swabbed his throat and it was strep.

sonshining
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

No! I didn't know that either. My son had tonsillitis last year and went on antibiotics and told to gargle with apple cider vinegar to prevent strep. I thought sore throat and low energy were the tell tale signs of strep. Thanks for the info and glad you took him to ER. Always something new we are learning, huh?!

ceciliam
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That's scary!

leeshuh
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Right? Just when I thought I was doing well by not freakiing out every time he gets a little fever/sniffle, etc. it turns out I SHOULD have taken him in! Oh well. How did you get your son to gargle cider vinegar? I don't think mine would do it...

Quoting sonshining:

No! I didn't know that either. My son had tonsillitis last year and went on antibiotics and told to gargle with apple cider vinegar to prevent strep. I thought sore throat and low energy were the tell tale signs of strep. Thanks for the info and glad you took him to ER. Always something new we are learning, huh?!

iamcafemom83
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Oh it can get pretty bad. I had it last xmas and it knocked me off my feet. I read that it can be debilitating.
Kids sometimes just have a high tolerance for pain and can let things go til it gets bad.
I hope he feels better soon.
leeshuh
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I remember the last time I  had it I was completely miserable. It was TERRIBLE. I just have never seen it spread to joints like that.... he couldn't hold his own cup or stand up on the scale. 

Quoting iamcafemom83: Oh it can get pretty bad. I had it last xmas and it knocked me off my feet. I read that it can be debilitating. Kids sometimes just have a high tolerance for pain and can let things go til it gets bad. I hope he feels better soon.

iamcafemom83
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Poor baby:( that is horrible! Can't imagine, that kust have been so hard to watch.

I will say though, it can be confusing. My son and daughter both got it, too. While my son's fever stayed high for DAYS, my daughter had just a lower grade fever, and only for a couple days like your son.

Quoting leeshuh:

I remember the last time I  had it I was completely miserable. It was TERRIBLE. I just have never seen it spread to joints like that.... he couldn't hold his own cup or stand up on the scale. 

Quoting iamcafemom83: Oh it can get pretty bad. I had it last xmas and it knocked me off my feet. I read that it can be debilitating.
Kids sometimes just have a high tolerance for pain and can let things go til it gets bad.
I hope he feels better soon.

leeshuh
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM

That's good to know my kids aren't the only ones who have a mild reaction. I will watch him much more closely next time he seems a little sick.

Quoting leeshuh:

My 5 year old son had a fever for two days last week (June 2nd-3rd) then got better although he did seem to still be low energy. By the weekend all was well and he was playing outside and running around. Then Monday morning he woke up saying his wrists hurt and the middle knuckles on both hands were red. I figured maybe he injured himself somehow playing at the park. By Tuesday night he was in so much pain he could barely stand and his knuckes were red and swollen. We went to the ER because he was SCREAMING in pain. Turns out  he had strep throat that moved to his joints because it went untreated. He just didn't seem sick to me and when I asked if his throat hurt he had said no.

Has anybody else ever seen this happen? I didn't know strep could take over the whole body like that!

sonshining
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, he DIDN'T like it, I counted to ten while he gargled, and he did it twice a day. I just told him the DOCTOR SAYS if you want to get better and not worse... 

Quoting leeshuh:

Right? Just when I thought I was doing well by not freakiing out every time he gets a little fever/sniffle, etc. it turns out I SHOULD have taken him in! Oh well. How did you get your son to gargle cider vinegar? I don't think mine would do it...

Quoting sonshining:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN