Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Seriously considering homeschooling my children

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  • 22 Replies
Anyone homeschooling/have homeschooled before have some advice about getting started/pros and cons to homeschooling?

I've thought about it since before my son was even school age. This fall he's supposed to start 1st grade but I really feel this nagging in my head to just pull him out of public school, quit my job and homeschool him (and my daughter when it's time).

Any input from people who were homeschooled as children is also welcome. :)
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabe05
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:29 AM
4 moms liked this
The first thing to do is find a local homeschooling support group. They are all over now and invaluable for info about local laws as well as programs and social options. I've homeschooled since the beginning and could go on and on about all the benefits, but I will simply say that I have yet to meet a mom in your situation who followed her gut and regretted it.
aneela
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

this is great advice. cafemom has a group for homeschooling as well you can check it out too!

Quoting gabe05: The first thing to do is find a local homeschooling support group. They are all over now and invaluable for info about local laws as well as programs and social options. I've homeschooled since the beginning and could go on and on about all the benefits, but I will simply say that I have yet to meet a mom in your situation who followed her gut and regretted it.

Come check out  Serious Coupon Swappers for swapping, friendship and learn about the many ways to make money online by chatting or using apps!.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/seriouscouponswappers

Apr1l
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
That nagging sounds like your gut.
I do supplemental schooling at home lol. But think of the great quality of learning your 1st grader will get with you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
We've seriously considered it starting this next upcoming school year. My daughter is going into middle school and it's just not a good place. We would have been ok with it if she was in advanced classes, which is where she belongs. She's a straight A student, but they place the kids based only on their FCAT scores. She scored surprisingly lower in her science FCAT, but high on math and reading. But because of that science score they want to put her in "regular" classes. It makes me so angry that they are basing these decisions on one standardized test. She said she had a bellyache that day. Anyways. I'll save it for when I talk to someone at the school. Suffice it to say it's definitely an option this year.
Madelaine
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed

Quoting gabe05: The first thing to do is find a local homeschooling support group. They are all over now and invaluable for info about local laws as well as programs and social options. I've homeschooled since the beginning and could go on and on about all the benefits, but I will simply say that I have yet to meet a mom in your situation who followed her gut and regretted it.

copperswifey
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I wish I could do it, but my husband won't let me :) 

elasmimi
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not had any personal experience, because I did not feel qualified, but I have friends who homeschooled and some who are doing it now, and it has all been a positive experience. I say go for it.

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM

What area of Texas do you live in? I'm in the Fort Worth area and there are lots of homeschool mamas here.

Texas.Mama
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM
I live in west Texas near San Angelo

Quoting Bob192:

What area of Texas do you live in? I'm in the Fort Worth area and there are lots of homeschool mamas here.

Texas.Mama
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM
My husband is about 75% on board I'm just trying to get him all the way there :)

Quoting copperswifey:

I wish I could do it, but my husband won't let me :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)