Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My sister and I don't speak

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM
  • 36 Replies

My sister and I have been estranged for about 11 years, going on 12.  We had a disagreement after I had my youngest child.

It's a very, very long story, but the bottom line is that she stopped speaking to me after I invited her to take photos at the homebirth of my daughter.  She accused me of stealing "her photos" because I wouldn't let her keep all the photos she took.  (I was naked, for one thing, and for another, she told me she wanted to show them to people!) We have barely spoken in the past 11 years (one email exchange and a few sentences in person).

Are you estranged from anyone?  Have you tried to make things right?

sad

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixonBabies
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I just now started talking to my brother again after about 4 years. He uninvited me to his wedding and after saying no kids were allowed there were other kids there that weren't in the wedding so I was like screw you anyway. We talk a little here and there but things will never be the same.

whoodathunk
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM

My brother & I were estranged for several years.  It was an awful time.  He had gotten involved with drugs and just went down a bad path.  He's out of state now & my SIL & I talk all the time.  We're on good terms, but it's not the same.  

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM

That's such a dumb reason to uninvite someone from a wedding . . .

Quoting DixonBabies:

I just now started talking to my brother again after about 4 years. He uninvited me to his wedding and after saying no kids were allowed there were other kids there that weren't in the wedding so I was like screw you anyway. We talk a little here and there but things will never be the same.

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Things are never really the same again after begin estranged . . .

Quoting whoodathunk:

My brother & I were estranged for several years.  It was an awful time.  He had gotten involved with drugs and just went down a bad path.  He's out of state now & my SIL & I talk all the time.  We're on good terms, but it's not the same.  

momofsunshine77
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM

My oldest sister has always disliked me since I was born.  We haven't spoken in person for 13 years.  I have spoken to her on facebook and tried to get her to at least skype with her neices and nothing.  I just don't try anymore, but if she wants to talk to me I would be willing. 

MomTiara19
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Yes....but not anymore...

My dh and I did not talk to his brother,wife and kid for 3 years.

Long story but his brother accused us of being jealous of his child getting alot of babysitting and attention from my mil.

We felt in being an IR couple with mixed children we were being treated unfairly by the inlaws in general.

We mutually as a family just drifted apart and went on with our lives.Last thanksgiving they called us to get together.Things have been wonderful ever since.We are all sad we wasted so much time being stubborn.

I hope one day you can mend things with your sister.Until you do I found solace in a great website and fb page called estranged.com.

Good luck and may you have peace in your heart.

sonshining
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I'm not, no. But my husband is, and for about that time too. He and his brother were very close and best friends their whole lives. what's sad is - my husband doesn't know what happened. ? Right after we got married, his brother stopped talking to him, so many thought he didn't like me. My husband invoted him to our sons (my stepson) birthday party and his brother emailed him saying "you just don't get it do you?" That was that and no, my husband didn't get it, he didn't know what the heck he was talking about. My husband thought, I've got a wife and kids so I can't worry about him if he's going to play immature games and not tell me what the heck happened. Deep down, he misses him but he has moved on. It's been 12 years for him. I would try speaking if your sister doesn't shut you out, beging talking about anything. My husband was shut out so unfortunately, he gave up.

christina122952
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM
My mom and we still dont talk
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I sometimes talk to my older sister. When her dh isn't around she calls or texts. He's one of those control freaks who uses the Bible verse "Wives submit to your husband." to control her and not let her do anything. I've seen my 15 month old niece 6 times and held her like 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:53 AM

My sister has lived in Japan for 20+ years so that probably adds to it.  I have tried several times over the years to talk to her but she does not respond.  Personally, I think she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder - it explains a lot about her.  But it is sad, I think, for my kids' sake (she has no kids). 

Quoting sonshining:

I'm not, no. But my husband is, and for about that time too. He and his brother were very close and best friends their whole lives. what's sad is - my husband doesn't know what happened. ? Right after we got married, his brother stopped talking to him, so many thought he didn't like me. My husband invoted him to our sons (my stepson) birthday party and his brother emailed him saying "you just don't get it do you?" That was that and no, my husband didn't get it, he didn't know what the heck he was talking about. My husband thought, I've got a wife and kids so I can't worry about him if he's going to play immature games and not tell me what the heck happened. Deep down, he misses him but he has moved on. It's been 12 years for him. I would try speaking if your sister doesn't shut you out, beging talking about anything. My husband was shut out so unfortunately, he gave up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)