Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Teenage dating

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 17 Replies
At what age did you let your child start dating ? My 14 yr old came to me the other day and told me she was date a boy her age. He stopped over at our house for my other daughters graduation party with a friend of hers, he approached me and told me they have been dating 5 weeks and he wants to buy her a necklace. She has deleted me from her facebook page so i want thru my other daughter and seen pictures of her with this boy being lovey dovey and a picture of them kissing. Comments with the pictures "how cute, get a room, oh you both look so happy ". I'm sorry i think your a bit to young to know if she is the one. Am i wrong ??
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM

My boys started dating when they were around 15. They were never serious and never bought gifts though.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM

My son's first girlfriend was at age 16, it lasted only 3 months.  He's only dated one other girl since then, they have been together over a year.  He will be 21 in sept.  My daughter had a boyfriend for 2 weeks at age 14, just long enough to realize she wasn't ready for dating. 

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be okay with DD dating at 15 (that's when I started) but DH says not til she's 30. lol  I'd be concerned if she deleted me from her facebook though.  I never kept secrets from my parents and I don't expect DD too either.....that could extend the dating age to 30. 

Sunshine2plus2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Around that age, they have now been together for over 2 years

nelliesmommy
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Depends on maturity. 14 is young imo. It's better just to be involved instead if trying to break it up and she becomes rebellious.
sav820
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:35 AM

My one DD was 15 the others 17 and 20  ...each decided.. It can be harmless, just sit down with both kids and set rules and hope they stick to them.   My girls all of them received flowers a dozen" Red Roses" delivered in middle school to their class rooms from boys who liked or puppy loved them ..One boy came to the door Valentines day and left DD 3 a Basket full of peanut butter cups,  a dozen roses and a ring. She was Shy and hid in her room.  DD gave back the ring it was over 800.00 REAL gold and stones. I called the boys mom thinking he took it ( stole ) & she said, Oh, No, Jason wanted to buy it for his GF your daughter LMAO...Anyway, we did not allow her to keep the ring.  They are still friends and now 35 years old..LOL

StreetsAhead
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 4:48 AM
I don't get having an arbitrary age to 'allow' kids to date, I really really don't understand it.
the 14yr old has a girlfriend, he didn't ask for 'permission' and I would never expect any child to ask my permission to date someone regardless of their age
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I'm the same way - I'll just let things go and see what gives when DD gets there.  My parents were the same way.  I started dating at 14 , my sister did at 16.  DD's only 10 right now so  she has a few year to go still before I get into that battle !

Quoting StreetsAhead: I don't get having an arbitrary age to 'allow' kids to date, I really really don't understand it. the 14yr old has a girlfriend, he didn't ask for 'permission' and I would never expect any child to ask my permission to date someone regardless of their age

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:04 PM
I personally don't think one on one dating should start before age 16 and then with very definite rules: I have to know the person they are dating and at least one parent, they should have similar moral values, no kissing unless it is very serious etc... For some kids I think group (2 or more couples) dating starting at 14 or 15 is an ok introduction into the dating scene as long as all share the same moral values.
WillowGrace
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:57 PM
I truly believe that as this child's parent, you know her best! My son has had "girlfriends" since he was like 11, I never though much of it! When he was 14 he started having actual girlfriends! They are allowed to be at my home or hers only with parents present! He went on his first one on one date this past valentines day! He took her to a local coffee shop and had them put a heart in her foam! Typically he always has either other friends or one of his siblings along! I trust my son! There is an open conversation about sex in my home, and he is very very honest with me! We are also talking about a child who, without coercion from me, started his baptism counseling sessions! He loves GOD, and has high standards of modesty, and wants to be pure when he marries! It's a tough world, and he gets ridiculed among his peers for his beliefs, but he is also strong in mind, of heart, and in his relationship with us( his parents) and GOD! So do what you feel is right! She is your child no one else's, you know her best!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)