Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Help with my baby's bedtime routine!

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM
  • 22 Replies
I hear different things from doctors and people about baby routine's and I am clueless! I want to know if letting a baby cry it out is healthy or not! Also, I would like to know if he should be fed and then bath at night or bath, feed and put down!
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakin616
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM
All babies are different..what works well for one baby may not work at all for another. Routines are good because once the kids get settled into them,they are easier to deal with as they know what is coming.I always fed my babies and then bathed them before bed time..It always worked very well for me.As for the crying it out....I never allowed that..I always made sure when they seemed to cry for no reason..that I checked them over ..very well..Sometimes an itch or hair can make them very uncomfortable..If I knew they were not hungry wet or sick and yet stil cries..I would give just a quick rubdown with some ltion and that usually did the trick.
christina122952
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:26 PM
That's what I do.

Quoting mamakin616: All babies are different..what works well for one baby may not work at all for another. Routines are good because once the kids get settled into them,they are easier to deal with as they know what is coming.I always fed my babies and then bathed them before bed time..It always worked very well for me.As for the crying it out....I never allowed that..I always made sure when they seemed to cry for no reason..that I checked them over ..very well..Sometimes an itch or hair can make them very uncomfortable..If I knew they were not hungry wet or sick and yet stil cries..I would give just a quick rubdown with some ltion and that usually did the trick.
hollyah73
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:37 PM
When he was a baby we would bath, feed, and put to sleep. He is 4 1/2 now we bath, stories,and sleep. It was an easy transition for us. When he was about 18 mos old we did a little bit of letting him cry it out when he would wake up at 3am. I would go in and change him and give him a drink and a cuddle then put him back to bed. He would cry for a few minutes and then go back to sleep. He still will wake up for a minute or two most mornings at 3 but puts himself back to sleep.
MistyMoo
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM
I always fed, bathed,and put down to sleep. I read a story to the baby sometimes, but I always read one to my older children. I Started my children on routines pretty early, pretty much once I noticed a pattern in feeding and sleeping . I just worked with that. I've been pretty lucky with that..
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I agree that every baby is different. All three of mine were always on a pretty regular eating/sleeping schedule but the first two needed to eat right before the long night and my son never did. He would sleep just find (and long) after eating dinner at a fairly regular time.

As far as "crying it out" goes, the main thing for me was getting them in bed before they were "over-tired." They might cry for a few minutes but never long at all, and then they'd stop doing even that within a few days if I got them to bed or to nap within the window.

A good book is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." Lots of practical advice and directions in there.

Lyndsjo
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
If I put him down he does not stop crying! It does not matter if he is overly tired or not :(
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:00 AM

This post could get ugly real fast. There are alot of cry it out haters on this website, but as a mom of two girls that has successfully used the cry it out...I say go for it. Of course you gotta go with your instinct and do what you think is best. But end the end if your baby is up all night and not sleeping and you are drained and severely sleep deprived...then give it a try. Both my girls have been sleeping in their own rooms and beds all night long since they were 4 months of age. Yes the cry it out is safe and in no way harmful and its been proven over and over again.. Some moms just make up excuses because they can't handle it and didn't wanna be consistant and stick with it. Some moms choose to rock their babies to sleep. It works for them. Just go with your gut and try what you think is best. Its an awesome method and it works if you stick with it. 

As for feeding  and bath, I would do bath first and then feeding. If your bottle feeding that is. But babies are different and some may need it the other way around

Shelly126
by Michele on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I agree with what most others said about all babies being different, what works for some may not work for others. I have twin 3 1/2yr old boys and I established a routing pretty early on because things can go crazy real fast with 2 babies! Lol
I personally never did cry it out, I'm not saying it doesn't work or criticizing anyone that uses it. Again, different babies and different circumstances, my SIL had success using cry it out with her son and is a firm believe in the technique. I would make things as dim and quiet as possible about half an hour before I was ready to bathe them, I would just dim the lights down, put on some soft music and talk quietly. Try to be a soothing and non stimulating as possible, then I would bathe them, feed them (by feed I mean last bottle not solids, solids were done @ the dinner hour when they were @ age for solids) again being as non stimulating as possible and keeping things dim and soft. I would lay them down and read to them or tell them a story. I also used a sound machine in their room and a soft night light, once I was finished with the story they were pretty much asleep or on the verge of passing out and I would leave the room. If they woke up crying I would go back in there to soothe them, yes sometime pick them up and then lay them down again and leave the room again.
How old is you're LO? What time is bedtime? How well does he nap during the day? Could he be teething? How well does he eat and is he on solids yet? How are his bowl movements?
Lyndsjo
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM
My baby is 3 1/2 months now. He takes 20-40 min naps a few times a day :( He is currently on Prosobee formula which helps him have bowel movements every day. He is not teething..we just took him to the doc this week. His bedtime routine used to be bath between 7-7:30, feed, bed. After our doc visit, she said feed and then bath. I have done that for the past 2 nights and there is not a big difference. He will not fall asleep on his own :( i tried cry it out once and felt awful.
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM

a bedtime routine is very important - I was always very consistant with that - even today, DD is 10 and we still have a bedtime routine.  The way you do it is up to you.  As far as crying ; if your baby is used to say, fall asleep in your arms, he may not like to be put in his bed alone ... it happens.  Mine was a baby koala, always wanted to be on us.  So I started to wrap her in my shirt (and slowly did away with that before it became another nasty habit) I also had a fisher price aquarium deal in her room, the sound of water used to soothe her. Find what works for your baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)