Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My husband just crushed my dreams, need advice please.

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband and I were talking tonight about our future and her really hurt my feelings. I just truned 31 May 27th and have a 1 yr old and we are planning on having our 2nd in hopefully 2 yrs. i am very blessed to be able to be a stay at home mom and will until our youngest turns 4 and goes to preschool. So..Ill be 36 or 37 when I want to re enter the work force. In the past I have mainly waitressed. I have always had 2 jobs as I am high energy and love to keep busy.I worked in Medical offices for a total of 3 yrs and as a pharmacy Tech for 4., I dropped out of college to model so I dont have a degree.
Through our relationship I have always said I want to go back to school to become an Occupational Therapist.I even looked into the program ag a local college just 2 months ago. Tonight he said that me going back to school was pointless because by time I graduated I would be unemployable because of my age. I would be close to 40 as I would start classes early. He says noone would hire me at such an old age with no experience:( I just busted into tears. I have always looooved helping people, and loved when I was a Chiropractic Therapist. I have such a deep desire to have a career not just a job at a gas station or a department store.

So my question is....Is he right?? Do I have unrealistic expectations? Will I not be hired at 40 with no experience?? I have been hired at everye job I have been interviewed for, as I am articulate, sweet natured, and attractive. (Also, I look 25 lol) I believe I have reasonable expectations for myself but maybe I am living in a daydream:( Of course, I will look into this further. I would just like some opinions and/or stories from personal experience.
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Replies (21-24):
ladyvamp5489
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

He is wrong, my sister was in her 40's when she went to school to be an MA and she now has a great job at one of the better drs offices in her city. 

Dewinter
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM
He is wrong , age does not make a difference. Your patients make even think you have more experience in life due to your age.
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM
He's an idiot. My daughter's teacher last year was in her first year of teaching. She was 42. Lots of people go back to school and change careers.
modern_colors
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:01 AM

My mother went back to school in her mid 40's and earned her masters degree at 53 - she could work anywhere she wanted. Why? becuase she had a degree. Just as long as you have that degree people will want you no matter the age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)