Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

moving back

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
My husband just got a permotion that required us to relocated to Florida. We don't have the funds to get our own house at this point, so we are staying with my parents. I am at the house all day with my dad and our youngest child who is only a month old my dad is telling me I am raising my son wrong. How can I tell my parents nicely that hes my son and I am raising him the way I feel is right. I get my daughter and my step kids next month and will have them until September and if my parents are already complaining about the way im raising the kids how can I find the strength to bite my tongue
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oliveoil423
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Just tell then what you saud right there. Just say mom dad hes my son and i will raise my kids the way i want to. But nicely.
Koreysmomma
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM
It feels like every time I try I have attitude in my voice. I don't mean to. My parents have been helping us a lot it's just very stressful

Quoting oliveoil423: Just tell then what you saud right there. Just say mom dad hes my son and i will raise my kids the way i want to. But nicely.
lavenderwitch
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Try saying something like

"I appreciate the advice your giving me, but please understand that he is my son and sometimes I'm going to do things that you will not agree with because my views on child rearing will differ from yours.  I would love some advice but I would also like for you all to please be nice when you give it.  I feel like (fill in the blank) when you all say the things you say"

That's just an example of course change it however.  The one thing I have learned having married into a family with strongly opinionated in laws is that when setting your foot down, choose your words wisely.  Use lots of "I" and " I feel" etc and a lot less "YOU do this" "YOU say that"  It makes them less defensive.  Know what I mean.

Hope it helps.  I keep my parents 900 miles away for a reason ;) lol.

M~ in lovearmyamerican flag ribbon

oliveoil423
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Yeah. I told my mom that and she flipped out. She stopped and backed off. Supposely i get an attitude with her also.

Quoting Koreysmomma: It feels like every time I try I have attitude in my voice. I don't mean to. My parents have been helping us a lot it's just very stressful

Quoting oliveoil423: Just tell then what you saud right there. Just say mom dad hes my son and i will raise my kids the way i want to. But nicely.
christina122952
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM
You have to do what is right for your baby.
Koreysmomma
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Thanks I will try this

Quoting lavenderwitch:

Try saying something like

"I appreciate the advice your giving me, but please understand that he is my son and sometimes I'm going to do things that you will not agree with because my views on child rearing will differ from yours.  I would love some advice but I would also like for you all to please be nice when you give it.  I feel like (fill in the blank) when you all say the things you say"

That's just an example of course change it however.  The one thing I have learned having married into a family with strongly opinionated in laws is that when setting your foot down, choose your words wisely.  Use lots of "I" and " I feel" etc and a lot less "YOU do this" "YOU say that"  It makes them less defensive.  Know what I mean.

Hope it helps.  I keep my parents 900 miles away for a reason ;) lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN