Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should we get rid of our dog?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM
  • 20 Replies

Help, i have had my dog since she was 6 weeks old, and i thought she was my baby, until my real babies came, and two weeks ago my 45 pound dog,snipped at my one year old, i have another baby on the way and will be here in 4 months.  I love my dog for the protection that she provides, i know someone is at my house because of her, but the poop in the yard, the dog hair, the most important one, i don't think i can trust my dog, my husband wants the dog gone, he says once is enough, when it comes to dog to snipping at child, and it could be worse next time. and i agree, or can the dog and children co-exist? i am a new parent and don't know how quick children learn don't touch dog in the face, plus the poop, the shedding. any adivce, PLEASE!!!

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliveoil423
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My dog did that onces when i brought ny daughter home. He was jealous and new there was something else going ti get the same amount attench then he would get. Now my daughter and my parents dog are like best friends.

He just nows something is coming and is going ti change the house hold up a lil bit. You really shouldnt get rid of him.
christina122952
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I would get the dog trained to be around babies or get rid of it
Roksolana84
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Do not get rid of your dog, but do not leave your kids and dog alone, ever. Keep your dog gated in the kitchen or back yard, I did that for a while when my kids were little.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

if your dog is not normally aggressive SOMETHING provoked her to do that.  If she snipped at your 1 year old than your baby was in her personal bubble and he did something that caused that.  You must understand something.  A dog can't talk to say "Ouch that hurt", or swat and say "No" or go "OMG You scared me" all they have is their mouth to make a noise or act.  Your dog snipped, she didn't bite or hurt your child, this was a warning.   You can't expect your dog to take abuse and never say nothing - you must train your child to respect the dog and treat it a certain way too. Is she a good dog ? Has she been loyal to you for years ? Then don't get rid of her like an old sock.

This coming from me ; I had a dog who was 6 years old when I had DD - and she was not used to children. She was good with DD but I also made sure DD didn't probe, poke or pick at the dog.  One day DD grabbed a hand full of Mandy's fur and pulled real hard Mandy yelped then growled - really I couldn't get upset with the dog because I would have reacted too if DD would have done that with my hair.  The shedding ; the poop.  Good god woman ; you've been dealing with this for years.  Make is part of your daily routine vaccuum in the morning, and pick up the poop daily if you do it everyday it's really not such a big deal.  That's what I did. 

Please don't become another one of those moms who get rid of their dog once they have babies.

mandyd322
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM

i did not like the Good god woman part, i do vacuum every morning 7 am exactly, and i have been putting up with the poo and shedding for years, but now i don't have the time i used to, to brush, and pick up poo. and if  i choose to find a good home for my dog, i will be one of those women who gets rid of her dog, when she has children. because i want the best for my children and my pet, and if i can't give her love attention, excercise she needs, then i must do whats best for my chidren and pet.

i appreciate you taking the time to post, but the good god woman part, did NOT like. thank you and good day!

Quoting mandyd322:

Help, i have had my dog since she was 6 weeks old, and i thought she was my baby, until my real babies came, and two weeks ago my 45 pound dog,snipped at my one year old, i have another baby on the way and will be here in 4 months.  I love my dog for the protection that she provides, i know someone is at my house because of her, but the poop in the yard, the dog hair, the most important one, i don't think i can trust my dog, my husband wants the dog gone, he says once is enough, when it comes to dog to snipping at child, and it could be worse next time. and i agree, or can the dog and children co-exist? i am a new parent and don't know how quick children learn don't touch dog in the face, plus the poop, the shedding. any adivce, PLEASE!!!

Tiff22Faith
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Have playtime with both the dog and your children. Maybe the dog feels neglected? Also, when she tries to nip or anything pop her nose. She has to learn the babies are off limits. You have to train her. However, if she won't behave remember the children come first and she can't stay. BUT, also keep in mind she may defend herself if the kids pull her tail or anything that hurts her. You have to teach them to behave as well.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM

You don't say why the dog snipped at the child. Was it out of nowhere or perhaps did the baby grab his tail or ear? Aound the food dish? Dogs are pack animals by nature and your dog needs to know it's place in that pack. (your family) As far as the poop and shedding go you've always dealt with that. I have 5 Labs who live in the house with us and know first hand about the shedding. You'd think they'd be bald! LOL my sons bought me a Bissel pet hair vacuum and it truly works,I highly recommend it. We live in the city and my smallest of the 5 is 78lbs. so you can imagine the poop detail around here. It's just part of owning them and while it's a chore I wouldn't trade them for the world. I would work on socializing your dog with your child and anyone else they would come into contact with. If in the end it can't be resolved I'd put the dog up for adoption stating that he can't go to a home with small children. I truly hope it works out for the best.puppy

Krizzle01
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM
We just gave our dog away to my in laws :(
I'm not sure if DH and I made the right decision.
When she first met our baby, our dog was very curious at first and then she tried to bite her little head while she was still in DH's hands! I don't know if she was jealous or think she was a toy (she was tiny then)

We've had that dog since she was 6 weeks old and still breaks my heart that she's not with us anymore but DD's safety is more important.
soymujer
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM

If you don't know the reason why the dog snipped at your child, then I'd monitor the interactions between them.  If it's for no reason, then it may be best to find another home.  We just had to find another home for one of our dogs because he would bite at our company.  I didn't want the lawsuit and didn't have the time to work with him to get him to stop. 

mom101010
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Quoting Jinxed8:

if your dog is not normally aggressive SOMETHING provoked her to do that.  If she snipped at your 1 year old than your baby was in her personal bubble and he did something that caused that.  You must understand something.  A dog can't talk to say "Ouch that hurt", or swat and say "No" or go "OMG You scared me" all they have is their mouth to make a noise or act.  Your dog snipped, she didn't bite or hurt your child, this was a warning.   You can't expect your dog to take abuse and never say nothing - you must train your child to respect the dog and treat it a certain way too. Is she a good dog ? Has she been loyal to you for years ? Then don't get rid of her like an old sock.

This coming from me ; I had a dog who was 6 years old when I had DD - and she was not used to children. She was good with DD but I also made sure DD didn't probe, poke or pick at the dog.  One day DD grabbed a hand full of Mandy's fur and pulled real hard Mandy yelped then growled - really I couldn't get upset with the dog because I would have reacted too if DD would have done that with my hair.  The shedding ; the poop.  Good god woman ; you've been dealing with this for years.  Make is part of your daily routine vaccuum in the morning, and pick up the poop daily if you do it everyday it's really not such a big deal.  That's what I did. 

Please don't become another one of those moms who get rid of their dog once they have babies.

I totally agree with you a pet is a life long commitment not just something to toss aside especially if the dog was prvoked. I taught my kids at an early age to respect pets and when i got them knew that they were going to live with children. That is something that should have been thought of when the pet was gotten. Put the dog in a seperate room for right now and bring the child around it and show it how to pet and handle the  dog. If it still shows signs of aggresion toward the child then yes find it a good home don't just take it to a shelter and be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)