Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Feed on demand or every 3 hours??

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM
  • 21 Replies
I have fed on demand for awhile now but dont know if maybe I should be stretching out the hours??
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tiff22Faith
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I say do what is best for your child. If your baby is hungry every 2 hours feed him every 2 hours.

christina122952
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Do what is best for baby
christina122952
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Do what is best for baby
amy_dawn
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM
I have fed on demand with all four of my babies. When they are hungry, or when they just want the comfort they get from nursing, they get what they need. When they get older than a year or so, depending upon their personalities, maturity, and any other needs, I start putting them on the family eating schedule. (Or close to it, anyway....I still tweak a little with my 18 month old so that she's full when I know she'll need her naps.)
staci1103
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I've always fed on demand.  A lot of times mine were just comfort nursers.

JTE11
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I'd say just feed on demand. Your baby knows when s/he is hungry or wants to/needs to nurse for other reasons not and it's not always on a schedule.

vilandra
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 1:43 AM
I feed on demand, sometimes she is hungry every hour (during growth spurts) never even did the schedule feeds in the hospital when they wanted me too
Mikaila234
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM
I feed every two hours
cassibella
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I started on demand then we kind of naturally just fell into a schedule.  If you're wanting to get baby on a schedule maybe try feeding him (her?) every two hours and see how that goes.  Otherwise, as long as weight gain and everything is normal, no harm in continuing to feed on demand.  Eventually you'll probably settle into a schedule without trying.

achorney
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Why would you put him on every three hours? Maybe he's not ready for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)