Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

At what age did you...

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM
  • 28 Replies

At what age did you start letting your children stay home alone?  My oldest just turned 13 and asked us if he can start staying home alone.  I think he's old enough to stay home for short periods, but my husband doesn't think he's mature enough yet. 

by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tiff22Faith
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Well my baby isn't near old enough to be left at home alone but I know I was around 13 or 14 when I was able to be at home without my parents. My mamaw was the only one freaking out about my siblings or myself being at home without our parents.

rhiannonaisling
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I was 7 or 8 the first time I was left home alone all day (by that age I could cook a complete, if simple, meal unsupervised and take care of myself) but my kids were left alone starting at about 11 or 12.

sbp8276
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I was 9 or 10 when I was left home for an hour before and after school.  When I was 11 I started staying home after school by myself for a few hours.  By 14 I was staying home for the whole day during breaks from school and babysitting my little brother.

PeachQuean
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM
My daughter was 8. For after school till I got home from work.

And 10 for the whole day by herself.

sbp8276
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

If I left my 8 year old alone for any period of time, I would come back to have no house left. 

Quoting PeachQuean: My daughter was 8. For after school till I got home from work. And 10 for the whole day by herself.

PeachQuean
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Hahaha, really!

My dd would come home and make a snack and start supper for all of us an hour after she got home.

Then watch tv or play on the computer. She is 12 now.

Quoting sbp8276:

If I left my 8 year old alone for any period of time, I would come back to have no house left. 

Quoting PeachQuean: My daughter was 8. For after school till I got home from work. And 10 for the whole day by herself.

waytomanykids10
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM
My 11yo ds, 10yo ds, 9 yo dd, and 8yo ds all stay home with each other while we go to town. My 11 yo is the only one that stays home alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
l0vemybabies236
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM

they aren't old enough yet they are 10 and almost 7 but when i was 13 my parents left me home alone and to even watch my brother who was 4 years younger then me so i don't see a problem at that age

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
My 11 year old stays home while I work when he doesn't have school. He even babysits sometimes for an hour or two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina122952
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM
My daughter is only 9 months
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)