Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Get rid of cat?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
I was starting to believe that my cat was getting used to my 3 1/2 month old but yesterday he bit his leg :( The cat has let him touch him before and did not do anything and this time his leg touched the cat and he bit him. My husband and family said to get rid of the cat and yes my son does come first but I had such a special love for my cat. I cant imagine giving him away. I dont know what to do!
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina122952
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I don't know what to say. I have my cat since I was pregnant with my daughter and now my daughter is 9 months old
sav820
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM

How old is your cat ?  Either way the cat should not bite the baby. Sorry, if it were me I would find a new home for the cat. I think if the cat will bite a harmless infant it could do a lot more harm.  Then wait and get a kitten when the baby is much older and they grow up together. 

Leelee1008
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 12:31 AM

I got rid of my cats when I was pregnant with DS#1 and then my allergies got worse and I can never have one again.. I myself would get rid of him but thats me

nuts4scouts
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Why are a 3 month old and a cat next to each other?

When you say his "leg touched the cat" what exactly do you mean? Was the baby on the floor next to the cat, and he brushed the cat gently with his leg? Or did the baby kick the cat?

Get the cat checked out by a vet to make sure it is healthy.

Keep the cat, and the baby, away from each other. 

Give the cat lots of positive attention. He might be a bit jealous.

It will be fine eventually.

splatz
by Sarah on Jun. 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Oh man that is tough! I wouldn't want to get rid of my pet. But its a little scary that the cat bit him. I agree that maybe the cat is jealous. 

kewimom
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM
The cat could of been startled, even if she wasn't fully asleep. My cat is 6 and my kids are 10, he will bite the boys for no reason, he is just playing. He never breaks skin. I had another cat growing that would crawl under the covers in the middle if the night and bite you to get attention or bite your hands while your on the computer. Just keep an eye on the cat near the baby, mybe create a safe zone. Lay the baby on a blanket and always move cat off the blanket. Cats can be taught.
mom2jessnky
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think pets are disposable (just like kids aren't) so I wouldn't get rid of the cat. Keep cat and baby separate until baby is older.

My cats only bite if someone annoys/threatens them and it's a "leave me alone" nip. Like the PP I wonder did the baby's leg gently touch the cat or did the cat get kicked? I'd bite someone too for kicking me.

WillowRose24
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I'd kill the damn thing! You REALLY have to question whether or not to keep the cat after it bit your baby?

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you dear?

Lyndsjo
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
And you are an ass
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Has it happened again?

Quoting Lyndsjo: I was starting to believe that my cat was getting used to my 3 1/2 month old but yesterday he bit his leg :( The cat has let him touch him before and did not do anything and this time his leg touched the cat and he bit him. My husband and family said to get rid of the cat and yes my son does come first but I had such a special love for my cat. I cant imagine giving him away. I dont know what to do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)