Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

they didnt let me say goodbye.

My dh just went in for surgery and they didnt let me say bye, give him a kiss or anything. they asked me to step out so they could give him his shots...but then they never called me back in. Its not a huge surgery and hell do great. but hes getting an anesthesia....Im kind of mad they didnt let me see him before he went in.
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Replies (31-38):
bellawomen
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Normal procedure asks for a patient yo come in early for pre-labs. You generally cannot go back until they can be sure he is alert. Trust me, some patients get violent as the wake and it is a risk for family.

Sorry they didn't let you hug him before.

Quoting sunshinelolipop: yah. ridiculous. we were supposed to be here at 6am. surgeon didnt get here til 7:30 and we didnt get called back til 8. Hes out now...Ive just waiting to go back to see him for an hour.

Quoting OliviaW.:

Last time I was in the hospital for surgery (an over night thing) they kept changing my surgery. They first said in the afternoon which I told my husband and then I went in at 7 am. My dh didn't even know until he got to the hospital because I couldn't reach him when I called him.

whoodathunk
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM

These surgeons are usually brilliant and stupid at the same time!  They just think so differently than most people!  I remember my husband's calling me on the phone after sinus surgery to tell me "he had an irregular heartbeat...it's not like he really had a heart attack".  I broke down and later found out it really wasn't that big of a deal.  Why don't they realize that?  I guess we're just really fortunate that they're as good at surgery as they are.  Maybe they need their wives to come in for the bedside stuff!

Quoting sunshinelolipop: oh my. thats awful. :( my prayers are with you guys!! they made me nervous...they paged me and when i got to the front desk they told me i needed to go to the surgeons office...he needed to speak with me. I almost puked. he just wanted to tell me that alot more was wrong than they thought..but everything was fine. :|
Quoting whoodathunk:

He had triple bypass but they ran into complications finding sutable veins for grafting.  It was nerve wracking to say the least!  He's had surgery 3 other times since we've been together and not one of them has gone smoothly.  Three hours is no short surgery either!

Quoting sunshinelolipop: they told me I just needed to step out for a minute...to wait in the room down the hall. and then never came back and got me. :( This was his second surgery for the same thing...I got to come back in last time. His surgery was only 3 hours, I cant even imagine 8!!! Id have gone insane! What was his surgery?
Quoting whoodathunk:

The nurses specifically told me when to say goodbye to my husband when he just had surgery (3days ago).  They said "okay, kisses & goodbybe" and then wheeled him away.  I cannot imagine how I would have felt I didn't get that chance.  Mine was an 8 hr surgery, but the time really doesn't matter as much as the fact that they're under.

sunshinelolipop
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM
I completely understand!!! Just very nerve racking sitting there waiting.

Quoting bellawomen: Normal procedure asks for a patient yo come in early for pre-labs. You generally cannot go back until they can be sure he is alert. Trust me, some patients get violent as the wake and it is a risk for family.

Sorry they didn't let you hug him before.

Quoting sunshinelolipop: yah. ridiculous. we were supposed to be here at 6am. surgeon didnt get here til 7:30 and we didnt get called back til 8. Hes out now...Ive just waiting to go back to see him for an hour.

Quoting OliviaW.:

Last time I was in the hospital for surgery (an over night thing) they kept changing my surgery. They first said in the afternoon which I told my husband and then I went in at 7 am. My dh didn't even know until he got to the hospital because I couldn't reach him when I called him.

sunshinelolipop
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
He is doing great. in alot of pain...and im doing ALLLLL the work at home. lol. but Im just glad to have him here.

Quoting okpondlady:

He will be fine.  Quit stressing and cool your jets.

bbyblueAK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:01 AM
I would be mad.
darcibeisheim
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Every one of my son's surgeries ( he has had a lot as he was born with birth defects) I have either walked him to the surgery doors or have even gone to the operating room until he was under. I have talked to every member of the surgery team every single time.

You need to contact a patient advocate and voice your concerns.
aimeerd
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I am sorry that they did that. I know if when my son had to have emergency surgery they did that to me I would freak out, but they let us stay with him till they rolled him in. It was the scariest time of my life.

girlfriendcj70
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I'm glad he is doing great. WHat you sent through relaly stinks 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN