Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Grandma name debate

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM
  • 16 Replies
So it seems my husband and I grew up in 2 different worlds it seems but it is one of the things we love about each other. When it comes to grandparents we can't seem to agree. He thinks that they should be called by there last name Like mama and papa frank but I think it sounds so impersonal. My mom says no way and his mom doesn't care. I say it should be up to the grandparents. I just called my grandparents on my moms side grandma and grandpa and I still don't talk to my dad's family. What do you guys think
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marmie41
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM
My grandaughter chose her own name for me. I think the grandparents should get a say in what they want to be called
ATG499
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I left it up to my mom. She goes by Nana and Grandma.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

(If you're on my Facebook, please don't say anything yet!!) 

katfeemom
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I agree with you. It should be up to the grandparents.

My kids (the first g/c in my family) call my Mom "Grandma".  My brother's son (they live over 17 hours away from us, but nearly in the same town as my parents) calls her, "meemaw" (I personally think that that sounds stupid), but his younger sister calls her grandma...

I have a friend who's grand daughter calls her 'honey'.  I know that she was a young mother, and then also a young grandmother, but I think that it makes her (the grandmother) sound like she'd be a stripper,

Lilfranks
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:47 PM
That's what In saying my dh and his brothers are against the LOs calling her Grandma Frank because that's what they call their grandma and the can't stand her
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Not when I have grand kids :)

WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I agree with you as well. I called all the grandparents and asked what they wanted to be called.

TristanMitchael
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:26 PM
My parents are called granny and Paca. Their oldest grandchild basically named them. She would argue with anybody who tried to call my dad grandpa and say it was Paca! So whatever you want to call them it may end up something totally different.
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM
My mom n Gma n my dad is papa and my mom in law is Grandma Dorothy n Grandpa peter n papa Jerry is my DH Real dad.
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Using last names seems so formal to me now. But growing up, my great grandmother was Grandma Sloan. My mother always referred to her grandparents by their last name as well. I guess it's just whatever works for you and the grandparents.
squeekers
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 6:44 PM

we have only one set of grandparents left for DD, and they are gramma s and grampa r. when DH's father was still alive he wanted and asked to be callled grumpa (as in grumpy grampa) so he was grumpa r. dh's mother died almost a decade before I came into the family by marrying DH. my mother met and liked DH and died shortly after we wed, but DD never knew either original grandmothers. my father was a widow up to a year before DD's birth, so she only knew my stepmom as gramma s. gramma s' mother, as THE matriarch of their family was called Nana, and no other name. it wasn't until Nana had her stroke and DD was old enough to learn Nana's true name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)