Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Staying home for the fourth

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM
  • 6 Replies
So I just recently became the guardian of my four nieces (I don't feel comfortable saying why) and since Friday is a holiday my family wants to get together but they want my fiancé, me and my nieces to go to them. But we just moved the girls eight hours away where we live and they are all just getting settled in. So I asked if it would be alright if they all come to my house for the holiday since most of them will be coming throughout the week because my oldest niece is getting married next weekend. Well now my sister is mad at me and all the relatives are too. Oh and one of my nieces hurt her knee last week and is on crutches. So what do I do?
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I think you have the right instinct to focus on the girls and doing whatever you can to smooth this time of transition for them. Honestly, a large gathering might be really stressful and confusing for them while they are still working out their new place in your family. Small and quiet at home sounds just exactly right.

Sorry your family isn't being more understanding, though. :(

momofnatalie
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I think your family should be more understanding.  I would hope they would realize that they are still in transition and with one of your nieces in crutches, it would be better for you and your new family to stay in.  I would tell them that you are trying to make thing easier on them and if they can't make it you will see them at the wedding.  I deal with a lot of family demands from DH's side and sometimes you need to stand your ground. 

Barabell
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:36 AM
I agree with the two comments above.

How did things end up working out?
Momof4girls950
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:15 AM
1 mom liked this
It was just me my fiancé and the girls on Friday but today everyone's is coming in for the wedding on Saturday.
bbyblueAK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Good for standing your ground. Your family should be more understanding about wanting to focus on the girls and making the transition easier for them.

Quoting Momof4girls950: It was just me my fiancé and the girls on Friday but today everyone's is coming in for the wedding on Saturday.
Barabell
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I'm glad you did what was best for the kids. I hope you had a good holiday!

Quoting Momof4girls950: It was just me my fiancé and the girls on Friday but today everyone's is coming in for the wedding on Saturday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)