Ah, new love, there's nothing like it -- especially after a divorce. Lots of women suddenly experience feelings of elation that have remained dormant in them for some time. They may feel giddy and lightheaded. They may lose their ability to think at all and do things like leave their three children in one country and fly to a foreign land to shack up with the new convict boyfriend they met online.

Um ... what?!

A British mom is doing exactly that. Jennifer Butler deserted her three kids -- all of whom are under age 10 -- to live in the United States and eventually marry prisoner Christopher Mosier, whom she met online. Sounds dreamy, huh?

Butler, who is 29 and should know better, met her 23-year-old prison love on the website writeaprisoner.com one year after she and her husband split up. Despite the fact that Mosier was sentenced to 15 years behind bars for a violent burglary and drug charges, the mom found herself drawn to his profile and decided he was THE ONE.

She considered him so special, she even encouraged her kids to write to him. Weird.

But, at the end of the day, this is all fine. Really. I'm not trying to pass judgment on people who have made mistakes. It's totally possible Mosier has learned his lesson and will be a brand new man when he is up for parole in September. Whether I or anyone else can understand it or not, these two claim they have a connection with one another that grew out of their letter-writing correspondences. You can learn a lot about a person by exchanging letters with them, so I have no issue with this. And he proposed to Butler, so that means something, right?

Here's my issue with this: when you have kids, I don't care how in love you are, they come FIRST. It's unfathomable to me that anyone would leave 4-, 7-, and 8-year-old children behind in pursuit of some romantic love that may or may not work out. I can't think of anything more selfish. No disrespect intended toward dad -- who will be stepping up and caring for these poor kids -- but Butler's children need their mom.

This mom is going to seriously regret hurting her kids like this -- whether her relationship with Mosier works out or not. We can't afford to make impulsive romantic decisions after we've made the decision to have children. They are far more important than the butterflies we get in our stomachs from new lovers.

What do you think of this mom's decision to leave her children to pursue a new relationship?