Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

HELP!!!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

Alright, my SO and I are now going to be in a financial bind. We both attend college which starts back up in a month. He doesn't have enough money for books. We have a credit card bill that we have to get the rest of the money for. AND now his hours at his part time job are going to be cut again! We live with his family, and I help out around the house since we can't pay anything. When we start back at school, his mom will be watching our son 3 days out of the week so I can go to campus with him. However, while SO and I don't want it to come to this, I may have to get a part time job as well just so we can take care of the few things we need to deal with. Unfortunately, we don't think his mom will agree to watching our son any more than she want as she already complains though she offered and doesn't want our son staying with my dad. We also only have one vehicle. I have no clue what to do... We have been trying to not get into debt early on or anything but it may happen anyway. We are beyond stressed out.

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
melindabelcher
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Sometimes its better for one to be in school while the other works.
If you both can't afford school then I agree you'll need a PT job. What about finding a day job, your SO can drop you off at while he's in school.
Tiff22Faith
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM

The weird thing is that we CAN both afford school since I plan on helping him get books, but we are having trouble affording some other things that need taken care of.

Quoting melindabelcher: Sometimes its better for one to be in school while the other works. If you both can't afford school then I agree you'll need a PT job. What about finding a day job, your SO can drop you off at while he's in school.

Kaaden
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Any chance of part time work in a child are centre?  Then you could take your son.  Even cleaning if it had free child are could work.  *childcare*

britme1027
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

can either one of you qualify for financial aide ??and yeah maybe you guys will have to do one at a time in school if you cant get financial aide

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I know the schedule isn't ideal, but maybe you want to look into getting a swing shift job... I see many stores around here posting for overnight stocking from 9pm-1am, which would not be a time that you'd need additional childcare. Or maybe just thinking outside the box in terms of the time frame for a job, so that you'd work some evenings while your SO was at home with your son.

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Aww sorry,
What about one of you working more?  Is that possible?
Hugs to you :)

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Have you talked to the school about financail aid and possible on-campus part time jobs? 

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM

After my freshman year, I figured out how to make it through the rest of college without buying books. I got many at the library (yes, textbooks), I borrowed, and I did an online "book swap" where you could buy/sell books for credits. 

I'd also encourage you to find a part time job where you can take your son with you. For example, the YMCA here allows childcare workers to bring their kids to work with them. Same with all the churches that offer childcare during service or weekly Bible studies and pay workers. The workers can bring their kids. 

Many stay at home moms in my area go this route to have a PT job without paying for childcare.

bbyblueAK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Hugs momma. Im sorry your in a rough spot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN