Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

World's Largest Water Slide

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

SEE IT: World's largest water slide set to open in Kansas 

The Texas-based Schlitterbahn Development Group has designed the Verruckt ride, which in means insane, and it's set to open soon. At 168 feet and 7 inches tall, it broke the Guinness Book of World Records for tallest water slide.

The largest water slide in the world is literally known as insane.

An online video shows Jeff Henry, the designer for the Verruckt water slide in Kansas City, Kan., slide down the ride for the first time with ride engineer John Schooley in a raft.

The Verruckt, which means insane in German, was crowned the largest water slide in the world by the Guinness Book of World Records in May at 168 feet and 7 inches tall.

A full video showing the point of view of the rider for the entire ride is also online.

The ride will travel at speeds between 45 and 65 miles per hour depending on the riders' weight and weather conditions, Henry's assistant Nick Tyson told the Daily News.

The slide goes down a giant drop and then riders travel over a five-story bump, and then reach the end.

The Texas-based Schlitterbahn Development Group, which Henry owns, planned to open the ride at its Kansas City water park on June 29, but the opening has been delayed as they try to work out an error in the mechanism that returns the rafts to the top of the structure, he said.

They have done thousands of test runs with sand bags because Tyson said it is nearly impossible to predict how a run will ride with water and wind.

"You really don't know what will happen until you have water and ride it," he said.

The slide also has a new feature that secures the raft onto the slide to ensure it will not fall off despite the high speed, he said.

There is another feature that reduces the amount of water and energy used, he said. The slide has censors on the track that only runs the water where the raft is traveling. Tyson said the feature should save the park millions of dollars over the next 10 to 20 years.

jlandau@nydailynews.com Follow on Twitter @joelzlandau

USING A MOBILE DEVICE? CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEO.

by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Fuck No!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg love it!!!!
DACIA79
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It''s still not open last I heard my son is excited about it though. My son wants to ride but I told him he's not old enough. 

We don't live far from Schlitterbahn so I will get to see other peoples reactions when we go this summer.

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

no way, LOL

hburnette3
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

why did the dude kep his boots on?  I realize he was only testing it but still.  Now he has to wear wet shoes the rest of the day.

gcstar42
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
It looks like fun! I love the water tube slides, but not a big fan of water slides where you go down without anything. Last time I did that my swimsuit top almost came off, lol, and it also kinda of scratched up my back.
JennaBea
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM

lol.......good question :)

Quoting hburnette3:

why did the dude kep his boots on?  I realize he was only testing it but still.  Now he has to wear wet shoes the rest of the day.

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM

no, that's OK. my fear of heights would prevent me from walking that high!

bbyblueAK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Looks like so much fun.
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 4:20 PM
There's no way in hell. Lol Just looking at that drop makes me nervous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN