Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

any moms of ADHD out there?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM
  • 4 Replies

Im sure there are here and i hope im in the right place. My Ds (now 9) was diagnosed at 5 or so with ADHD. We tried behavior modification, change of diet, therapist, extra caricular activities nothing has worked. medicine is always our last resort. (im on bedrest due in a week so i wasnt able to go today) my ex husband (his dad) went to an appointment we made today to have him re evaluated because its been a few years and he isnt hyperactive. in no way shape or form so im not sure if hes somewhere on the spectrum or if its something else. They let him know after they do a test this thursday they will administer a low dose of medication and re test him each week to see if its working or needs to be changed.

my question is does anyone have good or  bad advice with this method since we have tried everything else? im not sure if its adhd, or just a learning disability, a accumulation of we just moved and his dad isnt here yet so he hardly sees him, i have 2 other children and one on the way with my DH (been together 7years married 6) (only thing with that is because his dad has no other children so its just him and his dad so he gets super spoiled from his dad. Hardly rules, always buying things which isnt bad but doesnt go spend time with him if that makes sense. wont go for a bike ride, take him to a park, swimming or nothing.

half of me is hoping its just the age. thoughts?

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:31 AM

i don't know. Just wait it out and see how it goes i guess. My daughter will be 6 the 27th and was diagnosed at age 4. She has been medicated ever since and its the only thing that works. There are adhd support groups on here and on fb. :)

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Not ADHD but my youngest is autistic.

TristanMitchael
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM
My oldest was diagnosed it ADHD when he was 5 (he'll be 7 next month). We tried a couple different medications and the first one didn't work, the 2nd one he didn't like. It made him feel funny and said it upset his tummy. I stopped all medications and decided to just try and keep him active with sports and activities. Last year he went to kindergarten and I asked his teacher of she thought I should revisit the idea of medication and she said he was a perfectly normal kindergartener It's hard to know what's best for your kid but sometimes you just have to go with your gut.
melindabelcher
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM
My son was diagnosed at 5(now almost 7). He's getting 5hrs a week of services (4hr with his mentor, 1hr with his therapist) if need be we could have put him in an intensive program which would have been 6hrs a week. We are still looking to go to a parents conference as a lot of what I read has to do with parent modification.
But from the sounds of where you are a slow progressive medication implentation may be the best planof action at this time. While continuing therapies etc.
Good luck hun :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN