Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I can't believe she wore that to the gym?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM
  • 183 Replies
6 moms liked this
I read a post on FB today. It was about what women really need to stop wearing to the gym. The header, written by the poster, read "lol, Sue, Laura we talk about this exact thing at the gym"

http://thoughtcatalog.com/emma-golden/2014/07/8-things-women-really-need-to-stop-wearing-at-the-gym/

Thinking I was going to read about some crazy gym attire. I clicked, as I read through it I was a little appalled by the degrading of women Who don't wear the "perfect" outfit.
It's so hard for so many women to feel comfortable enough with themselves to even go to the gym! Add insult to injury by them overhearing the cackling of fellow gym goers.
According to this article you can't wear: too loose, to tight, hats, hair down, name brand clothing, sports bras. Basically saying you're either too confident or not confident enough based on these wardrobe choices. o_0

If you go to the gym do you fear the scrutiny of your fellow women?
Do you chose not to go for this vary reason?
Have you ever experienced being torn down by other women in a gym?
Are you one of the women who poke fun at another woman's expense that doesn't fit your "mold"? If so why?

(side note, this is my first ever post)

Awe my first ever post was featured. Thanks lovely ladies :)
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jul. 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM
5 moms liked this

I never go to the gym!lol

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Welcome! I'm glad you posted, and asked some thought-provoking questions... I wonder if anyone will admit they are judgy at the gym? :) But even if they don't admit it, maybe they will think twice.

I don't go to the gym, and it's not really because of attire. It's because the gym is EXPENSIVE! I'd rather get exercise outside by running, biking on free paths, hiking mountains, skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, etc. I have enjoyed group exercise classes in the past, but it's not worth the cost of a monthly gym membership to me.

And my attire is... Ah, it's not so cool. I don't have all the right looks at the ski mountain or at the track, but eh. I'm not doing it for other people, I'm doing it for me. So I try to let it roll off and buy what is functional/comfortable.

Sonja84
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:44 PM
It is very expensive!
I have a heart condition and I react poorly to heat and cold so I try to keep a gym membership when I can.
I don't have the best body image. I have a hard enough time getting it together enough to tackle the gym. If I over heard sometime making fun of me it would be hard for me to go back. I know no one should have that kind if control over me and I'm working in that. But while I am I don't need discouragement while I'm battling my own discouragement..
Thanks for your input :)

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Welcome! I'm glad you posted, and asked some thought-provoking questions... I wonder if anyone will admit they are judgy at the gym? :) But even if they don't admit it, maybe they will think twice.

I don't go to the gym, and it's not really because of attire. It's because the gym is EXPENSIVE! I'd rather get exercise outside by running, biking on free paths, hiking mountains, skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, etc. I have enjoyed group exercise classes in the past, but it's not worth the cost of a monthly gym membership to me.

And my attire is... Ah, it's not so cool. I don't have all the right looks at the ski mountain or at the track, but eh. I'm not doing it for other people, I'm doing it for me. So I try to let it roll off and buy what is functional/comfortable.

Sonja84
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Is there a reason?

Quoting johnny4ever:

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't have the money and I perfer to walk/hike to local parks.

Quoting Sonja84: Is there a reason?
Quoting johnny4ever:

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM
5 moms liked this

I wont go to the gym! I can look however I want to right here!

Sonja84
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM
I know a lot of people have an issue with the extreme expense of a gym. Is that the issue? Or do you not want to deal with the catty women you may have to encounter? Or both? Have you experienced being degraded at a gym by other women?

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Never had that happen but I know how judgemental women are. I've done Zumba and we all had fun, but actually gum equipment with others around? Ummm no lol

Quoting Sonja84: I know a lot of people have an issue with the extreme expense of a gym. Is that the issue? Or do you not want to deal with the catty women you may have to encounter? Or both? Have you experienced being degraded at a gym by other women?

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM
5 moms liked this
I couldn't care less what people think of me at the gym. I'm not there to make friends.

My gym is $5/month AND $5/month for childcare!

I can't work out at home right now because my toddler is Velcro on me and he won't sit in a stroller very long. I can run and lift at the gym and he can play with the other kids!
melindabelcher
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have time for a gym membership, unfortunately. But I will not work out alone. I've had guys staring and that makes me very uneasy.
I wear "typical" work out clothes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN